01.

It was an early hour of the morning. The only source of light in my dark room was the moon, which I could see clearly through my window.

I knew there would be no chance of falling asleep soon, so I took out one of my school books and a piece of new parchment.

I gathered a quill and some ink and began to start one of my summer assignments. Though this was no regular school assignment, considering I was attending a school for magic.

Yes, that's right; I, Ella Hart, was no ordinary girl, I was a witch. Of course, I hadn't been surprised when I found out, considering my mum and sister were also magical, but sometimes it still didn't sink in.

"Ella? Are you seriously awake right now?" I heard my older sister, Miranda, mumble from under her covers. "Go to sleep or I'll curse you into a coma."

Miranda was now going into her sixth year at the school we attended, Hogwarts. I was very ready to head back to school so I could get away from her, but unfortunately we were in the same house, Gryffindor, so there was still no total escape.

"Piss off, Miranda, I'm trying to write one of my summer essays!" I snapped, turning my attention back to my parchment.

"If you don't go back to sleep, you won't need to bother with your assignments, considering you'll be about six feet under the ground."

I tossed the parchment and book onto the floor, before reaching over to my nightstand to grab a pile of unopened letters and my wand.

"Lumos." a light emerged from the tip of my wand.

"Who are those from? Have you got a secret boyfriend?" Miranda eyed the envelopes.

"No! They're from my friends!"

"Harry Potter? And those other two, the girl and Ron?" Miranda questioned.

"Her name is Hermione! And yes, I have letters from all three of them. Haven't Fred and George sent you any?" I asked.

"Only a few, now just hurry and open them. The faster you finish, the faster you turn off that light. Which means I can go to sleep." Miranda snapped, covering her face with a blanket.

I opened the first letter, from Ron.

Dear Ella,

Hope you're enjoying summer! Your Mom probably told you, but we're in Egypt! It's amazing here, lots to do. I could hardly believe when Dad won the Daily Prophet draw! Seven hundred galleons! Most of it went towards the trip, but they said they'll buy me a new wand for this year, which is a relief.

I remembered the events of last year, involving a flying car, the Whomping Willow, and two idiots (Ron and Harry, of course).

Ron got his wand snapped in half, resulting in a whole bunch of magical issues throughout the year. It was good he was finally getting a new wand, I was starting to fear for my safety.

Hope everything's going well with Miranda, I know she can be a pain. Fred and George are the same way. Tried to call Harry, by the way, on a Muggle telephone. Don't think it went too well, the Muggles seemed very angry.
Mom said we'll meet up with you, Harry, and Hermione in London, so 'till then!

Ron

P.S. Percy's Head Boy. He won't shut up about it. Wish me luck.

I smiled and put his letter off to the side before picking up the next envelope, from Hermione.

Dear Ella,