44

Hermione dropped a stack of books and papers in front of Alex in their ancient times class.
"Um, what is this?"

"Homework that I'm setting you." Alex raised a brow.

"Don't we already have enough homework and extra credit work?"

"This is about you." Hermione said. "This goes ahead of everything else. You can put it away for now, but I want it all read by the end of the week."

"Okay, why are you setting me homework?"

"Because you can't go on the way you have been. You need to work through your issues, so you're going to read through all this, and then we will figure out how to help you."

"This is what you wasted your holiday on?"

"I also did some research on dragons, so you're welcome. That comes after this, though, so study up."

"You really shouldn't have." Alex said, guiltily.

"If you won't let anyone else help, then I will. I'm not a psychologist or a psychiatrist. I won't be as effective as one, but I am your friend and I will help you. So, you and I are going to work on dealing with your stuff. I had my parents send me some muggle articles that might help." Alex knew this was when she should speak up. This was the part where she should tell Hermione she'd already agreed to go to a mind healer in the summer, but looking at Hermione's earnest face and all the effort she put in to try to help Alex- she couldn't bring herself to ruin Hermione's hard work.

"Okay." She said, sweeping the books into her bag. "I'll read them all."

They somehow managed to carve out time to sit and try whatever intervention Hermione had gotten her hands on at least once a week.
"Let's drop a class for next year." Alex said and Hermione nodded.

"Agreed. But which one?"

"Well, I really love my arithmancy class so I probably won't drop that. And I'm not sure if Kichiro is a reason to drop care of magical creatures or to keep it. Ancient runes is so cool, but if I drop muggle studies, my dad'll be disappointed."

"Muggle studies from a magical viewpoint is incredibly interesting, but since I'm not really learning anything new, I think I'll drop it."

"I think it's down to either care of magical creatures or muggle studies." She grimaced. "Unless my arithmancy and defense class clash again and care of magical creatures, study of runes and muggle studies are properly spaced out."

"No way, you need to drop something. It's not just about classtime. There's also your workload, and you know you're going to have something else to do next year. You always find something to do with your time."

"I always work stuff out."

"Let's see your workload this year. On top of all the classes and homework, you're dividing your time to spend time with your boyfriend, and with your unicorn, and with the dragon that I'm certain you're five minutes away from adopting as your own. You're also trying to find a way to save it. You're also trying to spend time partnering with Emiko since technically she's supposed to shadow you while at Hogwarts. You're also training for a massive potions competition, and we're working on your mental health. That's way too much, even for you. Oh, and let's not forget you want to catalogue all four of the Founders' castle areas by the end of the school year."

"But that's this year. Emiko's going back to Japan in April, and the potions competitions will be over by next year. As long as I win this year, I'll only need to take part in one final competition where the previous winners of the past seven years compete for a place in the Wizarding schools competition. And we'll have finished cataloguing the hall, the grove, the chamber and the study by July, so my schedule will be a whole lot lighter next year."

"It's Hogwarts, you'll find something else to fill up any spare time you have."

"Fine, I will think about which subject I should drop." She groaned. Hermione grinned in triumph.

"Good. Okay, back to you. How are your nightmares?" Alex glared at Hermione. "You write down the dreams?"

"I can't believe a dream journal is the best you came up with."

"There are studies that say it works. Just keep working on it."

"Yeah, whatever."

"I'm not a trained healer, you know. I'm trying my best."

"I know, and I'm lucky to have you looking out for me. It just doesn't really feel like it's working."

"It's supposed to take time. And in the meantime, we can work on your phobia of snakes. You know Laila won't let you distract her from the chamber much longer."

"Can't you guys go there without me?"

"I faced down a three headed dog in first year, and let's not forget I willingly and regularly sit in a clearing a few feet away from a thousand year old dragon."

"That's not the same." Alex said and Hermione softened.

"No, but you won't be able to avoid snakes forever. What if you come across one, one day?"

"Fine, what do you suggest?"

"I'm so glad you asked. I know you're okay with drawings and other artistic interpretations of snakes. So what if we try an illusion of a snake? It'll look real, but it won't be." Alex nodded.

"Seems simple enough."

"It'll look really real." Hermione repeated. "But I'll be right here next to you, ready to banish it if it gets to be too much."

"I trust you."