Hunter [h.s.]

Hunter

I could hear my heartbeat in my ear loudly pounding at me as I forced my body forward. My feet slapped against the leaf covered forest ground and I was panting heavily. Breath, I needed breath.

But I couldn't stop.

I had no clue where I was nor did I know much about how I got there but I knew I had to get out.

My throat was drying and I could hear his footsteps behind me as I fought back sobs of absolute terror.

I was beginning to outrun him. I could tell because the sound of his steps was losing volume much to my relief and as I progressed I felt my jumping heart warm with hope. I might get away. I might survive.

A smile nearly blossomed onto my face but the cuff of my jeans got caught on a protruding twig that must've fallen off the tree and I gasped as I fell to the ground.

I let out a loud call of pain when my hands were slightly cut by the other sharp broken branches and I felt tears pricking at the corner of my eyes. Even worse though was when there was this blinding pain from my stomach and I did scream in the slightest.

Sweat was beginning to break out on my skin as I squeezed my eyes shut and grit my teeth, fuming in pain. My breath turned into sobs and I rolled onto my back. I sat up and had to cover my mouth to keep my cries of pain in check as I felt not only a pain in my ankle but a burning, a stinging, on my abdomen. As I was up I felt a wave of dizziness and I heard his footsteps again. I felt dread developing inside of me. I was sick to my absolute stomach. I had to hide since I could hardly move to find a hiding spot let alone run. I crawled barely towards a big tree and rest against it tiredly as the sound of leaves crunching got closer.

I swallowed. My head went back on the tree and I rest my eyes a brief moment. My stomach. I opened my eyes again and looked down at my shirt. I didn't need to lift it to know it was bleeding since the red liquid was already bleeding through the white material. Still, I needed to see the wound. Tears began to spill from my eyes slowly as I gathered the material by its bottom and rolled it up a bit, refraining from loudly sobbing as I saw the awful gash in my side.

I didn't have organs or intestines falling out, but it was bleeding badly and the flesh got pretty torn. It was so awful looking. I wanted to throw up, not even just at this sight, but I was so, so scared.

The footsteps were louder, but slower and when he spoke my fear sky rocketed as I leaned back against the tree, keeping my mouth shut while my body began to shake with restrained sobs.

"Li Li," he called for me. I brought a hand to my mouth, not wanting to make a sound. I should've been getting moving but I was so helpless. I was bleeding and then there was my ankle that impaired my leg movement. "Where are you, darling?" the voice continued.

I sniffled quietly and tried to think in my mind of how to get away. I needed to escape and find safety, that's all I thought.

"Come on out, my love," he said.

I shook my head at the different pet names and all he was attaching to me. "Come out, come out wherever you are," he sang before laughing sadistically.

My body began to shake as his voice got increasingly louder. "I can't say I won't hurt you, though; sadly."

I was breaking down as tears were pouring from my eyes and my arms were holding me themselves because I was so terrified.

"Okay, okay let's play a game then," he told me, his voice becoming less playful and deeper. "I'm sure you're familiar with it." I began to crawl away from the tree I was at. "It's called hide and seek," he continued. "I'll close my eyes and you get thirty seconds to run, love." I got on my knees and squeaked. My hands felt pain from the debris beneath me. "I'd suggest running as fast as you can."