Chapter Five

MY MOM HAS always been a fan of matching Christmas pajamas. We get a different pair every year. It's been a family tradition since I was born, so of course we had to carry the tradition with us to New York.

This year it was white pajamas with different colored Christmas treats. They're definitely better than last year's pair. It was like the store took an ugly Christmas sweater design and threw it on some pjs. It didn't help that my mom took a picture of us and put it on her Facebook, and of course Brandon thought it was hilarious.

I came home straight from dinner and put this year's pjs on. Nobody wanted to watch a Hallmark movie with me, so I just decided to watch one alone in my room.

While commercials are playing, I unfold the napkin our cute waiter gave me earlier. If only I had the courage to actually text him. They make it look so easy in movies.

My eyes dart from the napkin to my phone. I'm just going to do it. A new message pops up on my phone before I can start typing in his number.

Surprisingly, it's from Brandon.

From Brandon:

Hey. Are you up for an adventure?

To Brandon:

I think you have the wrong number. This is Nia.

From Brandon:

I know, Nia. I'm really in the mood to go out and want some company.

To Brandon:

No. Now stop texting me.

From Brandon:

Okay. If you ever change your mind, then meet me in the hallway in ten minutes.

Is he out of his mind? Why would I want to leave my comfy bed for him?

A few minutes past and I'm still thinking about Brandon's text. If it was anybody else, then I could see myself going out.

You went out with him earlier. Don't pretend like you didn't have fun.

Okay. Maybe he's not that bad, but I still don't like him.

I decide to go, but only because I've already seen the movie that's playing and there's nothing else to do.

I go to head out the door, but stop myself because I realize I'm still in my pajamas. I change into a more appropriate attire.

Thankfully, nobody's hanging out in the living room. The lights are off in both my parents and brother's room.

I quietly walk to the front door and peep out the hole. Brandon is standing in the hallway with his back turned to the door. I can't believe he decided to wait for me.

My brother is a light sleeper, so I try not to make any noise while opening the door. He's the last person that needs to know I'm sneaking out with Brandon.

Once I double check that my hotel key is in my pocket, I walk out the door. Brandon turns around and smiles.

"I knew you would decide to  come," he says.

"Really?"

"That's why I waited for you. Duh." He shakes his head, as if he can't believe I asked him that. "Come on. A cab is outside waiting."

❄️ ❄️ ❄️

It's silence in the cab as our driver drives us to Central Park. I'm looking out the window and  Brandon is in his own thoughts.