Chapter Nine

CHRISTMAS EVE IS a lot different this year. Usually I would be fighting crowds at the mall to get last minute gifts. And then we go to Christmas Eve service and have a family dinner.

I'm kind of happy about not being home to have a huge family dinner. My aunts, cousins, and grandparents all come over, and they spend the whole time asking me personal questions. It's always about my nonexistent love life and future plans.

It drives me crazy.

We're going to have a great Christmas Eve, even if we can't do our normal traditions.

After eating breakfast with everyone, I come back to my room to wrap my gifts. Gift wrapping is my favorite part about giving gifts. I spend hours making sure every gift is wrapped perfectly.

I know that's over the top, but I just love seeing my gifts neatly wrapped. My dad usually has me wrap his gifts for him, because he likes for his to be perfect for my mom.

I put on a Hallmark Christmas movie and get to wrapping. I need to get this done quickly before we leave.

I'm happy about all the gifts I got this year, because they came from the market we went to.   I choose shopping there instead of the mall any day.

Brandon's gift is the last I need to wrap. I save the last piece of elves wrapping paper just for his gift. It takes me a couple of times to get the wrapping just the way I want. My eyes scan over the pile of bows that I have. I pick out a forest green color bow and plop in the middle of his gift.

I think he'll like his gift. For some odd reason, I care more this year about what he'll think then any other year.

Maybe it's because we've gotten closer than we've ever been. I'll admit that shopping for him was harder than it usually is.

I wonder if he struggled getting me a gift as well. I think guys don't really put a lot of thought into their gifts unless it's for a person they really care about.

I guess we'll see where he stands tomorrow.

                              ❄️  ❄️  ❄️

If there was a competition, then I think my mom would win best gift award.

I've always wanted to see the nutcracker live in New York. I'm sure they put on a better production than anyone else.

I'm sure you know where this is going, but she surprised us with tickets for tonight.

I think I danced around the living room for a while. This would make eight year old Nia so happy, because I always dreamed of being a dancer in the Nutcracker. It was back when I did dance.

I quit the dance thing after a couple of years, but the dream of seeing the nutcracker in New York never went away.

I listen to the soundtrack while I shower and get ready. I'm glad I threw in some nicer clothes when I packed.

I decide on the flowy red dress that my dad's mom gave me one year for my birthday. I've never had an occasion to wear it until now. My red lip makes the whole look come together.

I feel pretty and elegant. This isn't a normal look for me, but I like it.

Just as I walk into the living room, someone starts knocking on the door.

I smile brightly when I see it's the Matthew's.

"Nia, you look gorgeous," Ms. Matthews says.

"Thank you. You guys look good as well."

My eyes look over to Brandon to see he's already staring at me.

He gives me a once over and clears his throat. "She's right. You look beautiful."

I don't think Brandon has ever called me beautiful. His words make me blush.

"Thank you. You don't look too bad yourself," I tell him. He does look really good in a dress shirt and pants.

It seems we both have to control ourselves from staring at the other too much. Ms. Matthew coughs and it brings us out of our daze.

"Shall we?" She gestures to inside our room and I nod.

Brandon lets me go in before him. I didn't think he had it in him to be a gentleman, but I guess I was wrong.

I guess I was wrong about a lot of things that contain Brandon.

                            ❄️  ❄️  ❄️

It's hard for me to control my excitement. This show has been everything I expected and more.

I'm disappointed that I can't film any clips of the show, because I want to have memories of everything.

As soon as the play started, I became fixated on it. It even takes me a while to realize that Brandon and I's knees are touching.

I ignore it and don't move my legs away.

My favorite part of the nutcracker is the dance of the sugar plum fairy. I can't take my eyes off the scene.

Brandon taps my shoulder and I turn to look at him.

"Popcorn?" He holds out his bag of popcorn to me and I take some.

"Thanks." I go back to watching the dance.

"I don't really see the hype about this play," he says and my eyes widen.

"Are you serious?" I whisper shout at him. "This is the best."

He chuckles quietly. "I'm joking. I just wanted to see you get worked up."

I punch his shoulder.

Brandon and I's current relationship is complicated.Things would be so much easier if I still hated him but I don't.

We've been spending so much time with each other these past couple of weeks, and I don't want it to stop. That has to mean something.

And I think it means that I might have feelings for the guy right next to me. The guy that's stuffing his face with popcorn with amusement in his eyes as he watches the show.

The guy who I may have liked all along but didn't know.

❄️ ❄️ ❄️

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Thanks for reading!

This chapter isn't heavily edited. If you see any mistakes then please let me know.

I hope you guys enjoyed the second to last chapter. If you did then please vote, comment, add this story to your reading list, and follow.

I hope you guys have a good Christmas Eve Eve and a good Christmas Eve. I'll see you guys on Christmas with the last chapter.

Christmas count for this chapter:

🎄🎄

-

Author's Note