Bonus Chapter: New Years Eve

I CONSIDER NEW Years to be a special holiday. It's a time where people's lives are filled with hope, because the new year grants you a clean slate.

I know so many people are against New Year's resolutions and I don't understand why. I'm all for setting goals and striving to accomplish them. I think it gives the year a purpose.

I'm aware that some people fail their resolutions after the first week of January, but I'm proud to say that I've accomplished every resolution of mine for the past couple of years. I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything when I say that.

Pro tip for accomplishing your resolutions: work on one goal at a time instead of trying to work on ten goals at one time. I've learned that this tip right here is what makes it easier to accomplish all your resolutions.

I worked on my resolutions last night after dinner. It's a good thing I remembered to bring my journal.  My main goals are to make my last semester of high school worth remembering and take things one day at time.

I'm always trying to plan every detail of my life. I've been stressed out the past few months because I still haven't figured out my plans after high school. This trip taught me that I need to calm down and not try to plan every little thing.

This trip has done me good and I'm sad to see it end in two days.

This trip has changed my relationship with Brandon for the better. There's still no title between us and I'll like to keep it that way for now. I don't want us to move too quickly.

I'm sure everyone at school is going to be shocked when they see us acting differently. Unlike our families who weren't surprised at all.

I used to write in my journal all the time about my dream guy. I wrote all these characteristics that he needed to have.  My standards were extremely high and bizarre that I thought no one except for a perfect fictional character would be able to meet.

Brandon crosses off every box. He has a way of making me laugh in moments when I want to cry and the connection between is strong. I wonder if it was there all these years when we hated each other.

My biggest fear is that once we get back home, Brandon will start to change. I'm scared he might find someone better or he may consider this as a fling that's supposed to end once we land back in Florida.

I'm going to talk about this with him soon but not right now. I want to savor the last few days here in New York. I don't want to end this trip with Brandon and I back to hating or ignoring each other.

I put the thoughts in the back of my mind for later. Right now I need to focus on getting ready for tonight.

Usually I ring in the new year by eating, watching Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve, and FaceTiming my friends.

My plan this year is way more exciting. In an hour, I'll be fighting the crowds with my family to watch the ball drop in Time Square.

Another thing I can check off my bucket list.

It's going to be a special night even if we are going to be freezing our butts off. I think we've grown accustomed to the cold, but I still make sure to dress warmly.

I turn the lights off in my room before heading to the living room. Everyone joins me shortly after.

We're going to have a mini celebration here before leaving. My mom went to the store earlier and bought chocolate covered strawberries, champagne for the adults, and sparkling rose cocktail juice for the kids.

"I'll like to make a toast," my mom says and holds out her champagne flute. "A toast to this amazing trip. It brought us together stronger than ever. I hope for many more family vacations in the new year."

She smiles knowingly at Brandon and me.

"Cheers," We all say in unison and clink our glasses with each other.

I take a sip of the non-alcoholic drink in my glass. The juice gives off a strong taste, but it isn't too sweet or too bitter. In a couple of years, I'll be able to drink real champagne. This will do for now.

My eyes meet Brandon and he gives me a wink. I'm still having to get used to us flirting with each other.

"Let's get going, party people." My dad claps his hands and leads us to the door.

We cheer as we walk out the door. The next time we'll be coming through these doors it'll be a new year.

                    ❄️ ❄️ ❄️

Since our hotel is in the middle of Times Square, it doesn't take long for us to get to the party.

We have to elbow our way through the crowd to get to a decent spot. Brandon's hand suddenly starts holding mine.

"To make sure you won't get lost." He gives me a lopsided grin.

I squeeze his hand and give him a smile of my own.

I look over to my family to see that they're enjoying ourselves. None of us has ever experienced something like this.

I wonder how my friends and everyone back at home is celebrating. Throughout this whole trip, I surprisingly haven't feared missing out on what's going on back at home. I've been making my own memories here in New York.

A band that I don't recognize gets on stage and starts playing a catchy song. I find myself moving along to the beat after a few songs.

Just like this year, the night goes by fast. The host comes back on stage to start the countdown.

Everyone in Times Square starts counting down. "Five, four, three, two, one. Happy New Year!"

Confetti breaks out and fireworks start appearing in the sky. So much is happening that I don't know where to look.

Couples embrace each other with kisses and hugs. Even my own parents are kissing. I almost gag at the sight.

Brandon brings me out of my misery when he pulls me into a kiss. I can feel sparks go off in my chest the same way they're going off in the sky.

Each time we kiss, it gets better and better. I found someone who can take my breath away with just a simple kiss.

My eyes don't break away from his even when we pull apart. It takes a moment for my heart to calm down.

"Happy New Year, Nia." Brandon rests his forehead on my mind and takes a deep breath. It seems like the kiss stole his breath away too.

"Happy New Year, Brandon." I smile brightly at him.

I can now check kissing on New Years off my bucket list.

What a special way to ring in the New Year. I'm in my favorite city with the people I love the most.

                                ❄️ ❄️ ❄️

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Thanks for reading!

This chapter isn't heavily edited, so if you see any mistakes then please point them out nicely.

I hope you guys enjoyed this enjoyed this bonus chapter. If you did then Vote, comment, add this story to your reading list, and follow!

Happy New Years Eve. 2020 was a weird year and odd way to start off a new decade. I hope that there was some parts of this year that you enjoyed. My heart goes out to all of you that  struggled this year whether it was from coronavirus or anything else.

I hope 2021 is a better year. I hope you guys have good health and happiness.
Stay safe.

Happy New Year !!!!🎉🎉🎉

-

Author