Chapter Eight

WE'VE BEEN DOING a lot of touristy activities. I know most people like to stray away from that, but we want to really experience being in New York during the holidays.

I'm not sure if we'll ever get the chance to do this again, so I want to take it all in. Even if it means going to the most basic places like Saks Fifth Avenue.

We made a good decision about coming here at night. You're able to see the displays in their full glory.

I pull out my phone to snap a few pictures of the first display we see. Multi colored lights flood the display with a woman holding a present in the middle.

Right when I'm about to take pictures, Brandon comes and stands in the way.

"You're in my shot. Move."

He turns around and flashes me a cheeky smile. "Only if you ask nicely."

Brandon has a thing for pushing my nerves. I think he does it because he enjoys seeing me get so worked up.

"Brandon, if you don't move then I will push you off the Brooklyn Bridge."

"Don't you want someone to be in the shot? Someone camera ready and handsome," he says.

I tap my pointer finger against my chin. "You're right. When you see someone who fits that role, then let me know."

"I was talking about me." He points his finger to himself. "Who else looks good around here?"

I look at him up and down and shake my head. "Nah."

I'm sure there's tons of people who'll disagree with that. Brandon isn't bad looking in the slightest. I'll never tell him that though.

The upset look on his face makes me want to laugh. He really does have a huge ego, and I love when I get a chance to bring it down.

It's the little things that brings you joy.

The teasing doesn't end after that. Every display that we walk by, I want to take pictures. Brandon stands in the way every time I pull out my camera.

"Am I in your way? I'm sorry." He shrugs casually in a way of saying that he doesn't care about blocking my shot.

"How many times do I have to tell you to move." I walk forward until I'm standing up to his chest.

This gives me a flashback of the other day at the market when we were up close and personal.

"I'll leave you alone so you can take your photos, but only if you agree that I'm camera ready and handsome."

"This is stupid. You're acting like a five year old," I tell him. His face shows how serious he is about not moving, so I give in. "Fine. I agree. Are you happy now?"

He gives a satisfied grin. "Yes."

He leaves me alone after that, so I can take my photos. The displays look incredible even from my phone, but they're a real sight to see in real life.

I'm lucky that I have this opportunity to be here. I could be at home right now in bed, but instead I'm in this amazing city. I'm thankful that we're able to travel and spend time together as a family. That's what the holidays are all about.

I'm getting sappy over here.

The last display we see is hands down my favorite. Purple and green lights surround the glass window, creating a  glow. Inside the window, there's a Christmas tree, presents, and other festive decorations.

Whoever did all this, really knows how to create beautiful masterpieces. I bet it took them days to do all this.

Add this to my list of places I'll like to revisit if I get the chance.

                             ❄️  ❄️  ❄️

We came across this restaurant that makes great grilled cheese for our dinner. I can't recall the last time I had a grilled cheese, so this better be good.

I expect this to be good, because everything we've had here in New York has been.

This place offers more than your regular at home grill cheese. They have all different cheeses and other stuff like meats. The one I got has bacon and pepper Jack cheese instead of just cheddar.

Brandon got the same as me but with sweet potato fries.

They smell and look so good, so I steal one of his fries. I thought he didn't notice, but he hits my hand.

"Hey!" He moves his plate of fries away from my prying hand. "Go get your own."

"Sharing is caring and this right here is delicious," I tell him.

He shakes his head. "Keep your hands away from my food."

Someone's not in the giving mood this Christmas.

My food comes out shortly after. I'm in bacon and cheese heaven. The bread is nice and buttery, and the cheese has the perfect kick.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Brandon reaching his hand to my plate. I get ready to hit his hand like he did mine, but stop when I realize he's giving me some of his sweet potato fries.

"I didn't really like them that much," he says with a shrug.

I don't know why he expects me to believe that, because  he was just shoving a handful in his mouth a few minutes ago.

Throughout this trip, Brandon keeps surprising me. He's the one who initiated the conversation about us ending our feud, he's been flirting (he's been doing that way before this trip), and he just shared with me.

A change of character for sure.

It has me curious if my behavior has changed toward him. I think it has, but it isn't anything dramatic.

I always found it funny when people say how certain experiences can change you, but now I'm thinking that's true.

I'm not the same person I was when we got on the plane to come here. For starters, I find Brandon more tolerable than I did a few weeks ago.

Maybe a trip can change you in a good way.

❄️ ❄️ ❄️

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Thanks for reading!

This chapter isn't heavily edited! If you see any mistakes then please nicely point them out.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. If you did then please vote, comment, add this story to your reading list, and follow.

Christmas count for this chapter:

There's only 2 chapter left. Any final predictions?

I hope you guys have an amazing Christmas week.

🎄🎄

-

Author