Chapter 29.1

Author's Note ~
just as a heads up, this chapter (or at least the next part) might be triggering for some people, as it deals with loneliness, sexual confusion, and potential suicidal ideation. if you don't feel comfortable reading it, please feel free to skip the next part.

thank you all so much for reading, guys! have a wonderful day!

~ ~ ~

Every day means swears, insults, and bugs on my locker. Markers, carved into it. Patches of stickiness and wet that make touching it Hell. I don't clean them off anymore. There's no point of it. They go away after Parent-Teacher Conferences happen at the beginning of May. My locker gets new paint and I'm moved to a new one on the other side of school.

I don't care.

The week after Parent-Teacher Conferences, everything on my former locker door finds its way to my new locker. I don't clean them off.

Why bother?

Harper stays away from me. So does everyone at school, Julia included, which is a relief because I was not really interested in her trying to win me back with all this shit happening. Any other time, sure, but not now. Also, no one's bullying me because they're scared of what I could do. Apparently, everyone heard about me beating Mason up. Even he's keeping his head down.

May's just a mashup of prepping for finals and graduation, endless meetings with teachers about life after high school, and, in Rory's words, "the realization that we're not special outside the high school's walls; just statistics and numbers to be passed on from one place to another". For me, it's just continuous conversations with Mom hounding me to find a college program to get into. Teachers surprised I don't have a soccer scholarship, then asking me what I want to go into.

That's the thing.

I don't know. I don't know what I want to study and do for the rest of my life.

When was I supposed to pick that?

But when I say that, what's written all over their goddamn faces is pretty much "You're a disappointment". They can't hide it. Some try to, other's don't. Mrs. Jacobs, when I tell her I'm not going to college, flat-out says, "Well, at least you're strong" and then goes back to grading practice finals, which I get a D+ on. The other teachers keep saying "You're such a smart kid" and "You can accomplish anything" but it's still written all over their faces that they don't believe it.

...when was I supposed to pick?

Rory promises me that it'll get better when I get out.