chapter twenty-two

"happy birthday baby sis!" jaemin exclaimed, barging into hana's room.

jaemin's voice woke her up as she focused her sight on her older brother who was holding a tray of food.

"i've made breakfast for you to eat in bed," he said, placing the tray on her nightstand, "i tried to take today off, but the company just didn't let me. i promise i'll spend the night doing whatever you want to do when i get home, okay?"

hana nodded and smiled, "thank you."

"anytime," jaemin replied, "i'm going to head to work now. text me if you need anything, k?"

hana hummed, "see you later."

once jaemin shut the door to her room, hana went on her phone and saw loads of birthday wishes. however, out of all the people she heard from, she was still waiting for one.

jay's birthday text.

as hana was eating her breakfast in the living room and replying to her birthday texts, there was a knock on her door.

"happy birthday baby," jay greeted holding balloons in one hand and a bouquet of flowers in the other.

"thank you," she smiled, taking the flowers before taking his hand and pulling him inside.

she sat back down on the sofa while jay stood in front of her, looking down on her.

"i almost thought you forgot about it because i didn't see a text from you," she mumbled with a slight pout.

"forget about your birthday?" jay gasped, "i wouldn't."

"i know you wouldn't .. i just .." hana mumbled.

"you looked for my text?" jay smiled, "am i that special?"

hana shoved jay a bit, making him chuckle.

"do you not want to be special? i can make you not special," she remarked.

"no no," jay replied, taking a seat next to her, "i'm perfectly fine with where i am in your life."

"i see you've eaten breakfast already," he spoke with slight disappointment.

"jaemin made it for me. what's wrong?"

"i was going to take you out for breakfast," he muttered.

hana smiled and stood up, pulling jay up with her. the two stood in front of each other, hana holding both of his hands as she looked up to him.

"we can still go out," she smiled, "we don't have to go for breakfast."

"give me like twenty minutes to get ready okay?"

"take all the time you need," jay replied.

"jay," hana whined, coming out of her room, "i literally don't have anything to wear."

"what do you mean?" jay chuckled, "you have plenty of clothes to wear."

"i know, but i don't know what to wear. i want to look pretty for my birthday, but- ugh," hana groaned, throwing herself on the sofa, her head placed on jay's lap.

jay placed his hand over hana and looked down at her, brushing hair out of her face, "you look pretty in anything though."

"don't give me that," hana mumbled, "you're saying that only because—"

"i'm saying that because it's true," jay replied, "why don't i pick out an outfit for you?"

hana immediately sat up with a bright smile and nodded, "can you?"

"of course."

she pulled him into her room and opened her closet door, patiently sitting on her bed while jay picked out an outfit for her.

"are you okay with wearing this? or is it too cold for this?"

hana smiled, "i'll be fine wearing that."

hana's outfit:

•"do you feel warm? is it too cold? do you want my jacket? here, take my jacket," jay spoke, stopping to take off his jacket

"do you feel warm? is it too cold? do you want my jacket? here, take my jacket," jay spoke, stopping to take off his jacket.

before he could hand it to hana, she chuckled and shook her head, "put it back on. i'm okay. it's not even that cold."

"are you sure?"

"positive."

after spending most of the day shopping and walking around with each other, they decided to end the night with dinner.

walking into the restaurant, a lady led them to a room in the back, shutting the door once they were inside.

it was pitch black and extremely silent, making hana a tad bit scared.

"um jay," she called out, holding onto his arm.

instead of getting a response, jay began saying numbers, "1, 2, 3!"

the light turned on and confetti poppers were popped, revealing the six boys of enhypen, eunbi and andrew, and jaemin.

all ten of them, including jay, began singing happy birthday to hana as she smiled brightly at them, definitely surprised.

"thank you!" she exclaimed once they finished, "thank you for coming. who planned this?"

"who do you think?" eunbi asked, eyeing jay.

hana gasped and looked at jay, "you planned this? when?"

jay smiled, "a couple weeks before. i had some help from your brother too."

"thank you," she stated, walking to give jaemin a tight hug before everyone sat down and began talking and eating.

hana held jay's hand and walked him outside of the room. once she shut the door, she immediately gave him a tight hug.

"you really didn't have to do all of this, but thank you," she whispered into the hug.

jay smiled and hugged her back, "why wouldn't i do this? it's your birthday."

"i know how busy you are. the fact that you managed to plan all of this in between your busy schedule .. it really says a lot," she softly spoke, looking into his eyes, "thank you."

"you're very welcome."

he brought her back into the hug and tightened his grip, kissing her forehead and whispering, "happy birthday baby. i love you."