Introduction

Introduction

The Phantom European Branch
Main Hall, HQ

It was a busy day for the organization. Today is the inauguration of the new recruits. The higher-ups will be arriving in a few hours, so the agents are busy with the preparation. The twenty-year-old Ryzel Thompson glanced at his surroundings and rolled his eyes. He can't understand why everyone was so preoccupied with the ceremony.

"They were not this energetic and enthusiastic last year," Seven Andrews, one of Ryzel's roommates, referred to their own inauguration. Every year, new recruits get accepted to the agency after a year of rigorous training and intense psychological and mental battles.

"I heard that a son of a certain army general got accepted," Jameson, a friend of Seven's, chimed in. "In fact, he aced all of the tests," Jameson added which captured Ryzel's interest. Ryzel's indifferent look filled with curiosity, something that rarely happens. If Ryzel is not indifferent, he's cold and grumpy.

Instead of helping, the three are seated on the wooden bench on the left corner of the hall. They finally finished the arduous training regimen assigned to them, so the three decided to rest. They chose the main hall because the cafeteria sits right next to the hall.

"How do you mean by all?" Seven questioned and sipped his tri-flavored soda: a mix of Coke, orange soda, and lime soda. Jameson could not hide his disgust and grimaced, while Ryzel just stared blankly at Seven.

"He aced the physical tests, the combat training, the intelligence exams, the psychological tests, and even the health check-up!" Jameson answered in a tone full of admiration. "He surpassed you, Ryzel!" Ryzel aced all of the exams, except the psychological test.

Ryzel just rolled his eyes and massaged his temples. He couldn't care less about that person. It's a bummer that someone was able to surpass him, but it's not like he can do something about it.

"Do you think he got in because of his family's connections?" Seven inquired, a bit curious. For him, it was unheard of for someone to ace all of the tests. Ryzel's scores were a no-brainer.

Everyone knows how smart the silver-haired man is. Ryzel was scouted by the boss himself, Trevor Hathaway, but Ryzel still chose to accomplish the exams and training to prove that he's not someone people can belittle. All doubts surrounding Ryzel's acceptance disappeared when Ryzel produced perfect results, except for the psychological exam.

"It's possible. His father has connections with influential people. I even heard that his brother is an attendant of Primo Salazar, one of Boss Trevor's friends and also part of the mafia," Jameson said and took a bite of his pastrami sandwich. Jameson and Seven continued to gossip about the new guy when Ryzel had enough.

Ryzel stood up and brushed his hair in frustration, then glared at the two. "Are you done? Hearing you talk about someone behind their back is irritating the hell out of me, and if we're going to talk about influential people, why don't we get real? Want to talk about influence?" Ryzel snapped, annoyed that the two continued to yap.

Ryzel only got an hour of sleep because of training, and the two assholes beside him were gossiping about the new guy as if they're having their own talk show. "You," Ryzel turned to Jameson who gulped hard and started to sweat cold bullets. "Jameson Villarde. Doesn't your family own a huge shipping line back in Spain? And you," Ryzel turned to Seven who was about to have another sip of his repulsive concoction. "Seven Andrews. You are the President's nephew. How about that for influence?"