✯Twenty-Nine✯ - Clarity

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"I'm sorry I took so much time." Gideon's familiar voice spoke out from above her, capturing her entire attention. She lifted her gaze at him from beside her, before he helped himself with a chair, but not before pecking the top of her hair in greetings.

Teresa is currently seated outside a coffee shop, in one of their four seater chairs with a round table in the middle, and a huge wide umbrella above their head.

She had texted Gideon for a quick meeting last night after Jacob had fallen asleep. He was quick to reply with a positive response. 

Teresa was grateful for him wanting to meet her, even in short notice, though he knows nothing about the reason for their meeting. She only hopes the result of this is positive.

Her fear heightened when she had gone into the closet to get the paper, only to realize there was another paper attached behind it. A newer one, just three months old. 

A new contract betting contract.

She could only read the first clause to be aware of what it was. Fear prevented her from reading further. Somehow she withheld herself from bursting out in tears when she spoke to Jacob about her leaving to meet Gideon, in exchange for work.

Now here she was sitting outside, under a morning dew, both her hands clamped together in her lap, worries of the unaware running through her thoughts. She was one step away from having a meltdown.

"It doesn't matter you're here now." She responded in a small voice, forcing a smile on her face.

Gideon on the other hand smiles at her genuinely in return. "I plan on picking Alexa from the airport after our meeting." He shrugged. "What's it you wanted to speak to me about?" He asked, still keeping his smile on.

Teresa stared at him for a while, before taking a deep breath, reaching for her handbag then pulling out the papers. She held it close on her laps, not yet handing it to him. "Gideon," she said, averting her gaze away from the paper to haze at him. "I want nothing but the truth. No more lying, no more secrets. Can you do that for me?"

Gideon sensed the vulnerability in her voice, quickly his happy smile evaporated from his face. "What's wrong?" 

She sighs again, taking a moment to gather herself, before giving him the first paper she had seen last night, while she held the professional one in her hands, only one step from destroying it in her tight fist.

Gideon hesitatingly took the paper and glanced at it. A flash of recognition passed through his eyes at the sight of what was written on it. He shifted his gaze back at Teresa, a look of apology in his eyes. "I guess you saw this at Jacob's place?" He asked, but she gave no response, only staring at him. "Teresa it was just nothing but a childish contact that wasn't valid till we all hit teenagers. I didn't take it seriously, genuinely I had a crush on you back when we were little, but soon I grew out of it. But Jacob on the other hand had a strong interest in you even though you rejected him from time to time. At a time I feared it might be due to his pursuit to win the bet, but I soon realized he genuinely liked you."

Her brow arched at his word, as she gazed at him skeptically. "Really? And when did you know he genuinely liked me?"

"Two years before you moved to New York." He responded, not hesitating for a second.

"And that's all?" Teresa asked wanting to know more, but Gideon looked lost, he opened his mouth to speak more, but decided to keep shut, he looked conflicted. "Gideon I swear if you dare hide any other thing from me, you won't like the me you see." She threatened, meaning every word. She might appear strong, but deep down she was breaking in pieces for the unknown.