[28]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

the day of the play

Even though Steven and Angeline had made amends, there was still tension between the group members. Sure they were back to talking and laughing, but everyone could feel the subconscious awkwardness that lingered between. And no one could miss the lingering glances that were thrown each other's way.

The breakfast table was no different. A certain uncomfortable silence fell once the girl sat down, much to her own chagrin. Rolling her eyes, she picked up a piece of toast and pointed to Neil.

"You excited for tonight Neil?"

This absolutely changed the tone of the table, with Neil's eyes lighting up and everyone scooting together in excitement.

"Oh absolutely! It'll be a night to remember for sure!"

Smiling to herself, Angeline picked at the fruit on her plate. She glanced over at Todd, who had coincidentally looked over in her direction. Pulling a fake smile towards the boy, she shook her head and moved her eyes towards her plate. Picking up her fork rather enthusiastically, the girl listened in silence to her friends gossiping about what the night held for them.

"You dressing up tonight Angeline?"

The question removed Angeline from her own thoughts. Turning towards the voice, she was met with the awkward face of Gerard Pitts. She nodded her head.

"Probably. Haven't really had the chance to in a while. It'll be nice."

The two smiled at each other and the conversation moved on, focusing on Cameron and his fool-proof plan to pick up girls in the audience. Angeline let out a good laugh or two, something she hadn't done for a while.

Once the time came, all the dead poets stood up. Shuffling in different directions, each one darting to their respective classes. Angeline was the last one to leave the table, picking up the scraps of trash left at the table with a disgruntled expression.

"Animals."

"You've got that right."

The girl practically jumped in fright. Turning around frantically, Angeline closed her eyes trying to catch her breath.