[27]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

a slight intervention

The leaves glided through the air as if controlled by a higher power, at least that was what Angeline thought as she laid across the ground underneath her sacred tree. Although it was quite cold outside, the girl found that this was the only spot that gave her a sight reprieve from the biting remarks her peers whispered under their breaths. Maybe frostbite was a better fate than death by harsh words from former friends.

Opening the book she brought along for the occasion, and self-bound version of the Crucible, she sighed in the irony. What harsh consequences gossip seemed to bring. Leaning her head back and scrunching up her legs, Angeline tried to become as comfortable as possible.

"You look miserable out here."

The girl didn't have to look up to know who it was.

"Well I happen to be quite miserable in nature, so it seems only fair I show my true self on the outside as well." Todd chucked and shook his head.

"Am I allowed to join the misery party?"

Angeline patted the seat beside her, and returned to her book. Todd sat down, and glanced at the girl.

"You're wearing my sweater."

The girl looked down, and acknowledged the boy with a small grin. Brushing it in a teasing manner Angeline wiggled her eyebrows.

"I've had it basically all semester Todd, I think it's mine now."

The pair quietly laughed, and returned to silence.

"Sorry I didn't acknowledge your birthday Todd. If I had only known,—"

"You didn't, because I didn't tell you, and that's okay. I didn't want to make a big deal about it anyway." The shy boy paused and gave a half assed grin. "Besides, you were busy."

Angeline snorted. "Yeah, busy tearing my life apart."

"The semester's almost over, you should focus on that instead."

Angeline gulped, but didn't say anything. She looked away, and closed the book on her lap. "A little sooner for me than you."