7 | moving on in

"What are you doing here?"

It had been four years, two months, and...sixteen days since I had been in the same room as Ms. Kayla White, and I could say admittedly, time had been good, no, great to her. She had always been pretty, and there was never a time that I hadn't noticed, but the woman in front of me was not the girlfriend I had walked away from in my senior year of High School.

"I came to help you move, Jalisa didn't tell you?" I asked, releasing the words caught in my throat.

Kayla shook her head, "No, actually, she didn't."

"What does it matter bae, the more help the better," the Bob Marley lookalike told her, "Even though I'd still rather you be moving into my place. Get started on those babi-"

"Emory, please."

Kayla was damn-near red, her signature shade for embarrassment, "Start packing the truck so we can get this over with."

He did as she demanded, muttering a few words under his breath as he did so. I hadn't even registered the obvious fact of her being in a relationship, too busy taking my time assessing all that I had missed. Like the fact that her narrow hips had now widened and were protruding through her black workout tights that showcased her rounded ass immaculately. Where the hell did that thing come from?

I can't lie, I felt a tinge of jealousy of her man that was getting to enjoy that, although I was well aware that I was content with never going back there again.
Not after the way things had ended.

"Damn nigga, you gon' help or just stand around looking strong?" Nico said, snapping me out of my trance.

He picked up a box labeled kitchen, and I found the closest one that had the words bedroom in bold letters.

"You know, your getting pretty old there Unc. I can definitely take you in the ring." I half-joked.

"Ron, you hear this?" he turned to Ron who was entering the living room from the porch, "This the same bull that got benched for a charlie horse."

"You right, and because of that I shouldn't even be here" I pointed out, sinceI was technically injured, "And trust me, I wouldn't be if...nothing." Kayla's eyes burned through me, just like the old days.

If this was then, she wouldn't of hesitated to curse my ass out, but instead she just rolled her eyes and exited into the dining room.

"Here for ten minutes and already on her bad side." Ron snickered, picking up a box and following behind me.

"Well I told you it wouldn't be a good idea for me to come. " I muttered.

"Yeah, and I think we both saw Marley wipe her ass with your opinion."

"Exactly, so at the end of this when things don't work out, don't say I didn't tell you so."

"My nigga, the way you was staring at her, I'on think you gon have the type of problems you thinking," Ron gave me a knowing look, "Ain't even give a shit about her boyfriend."