13 | the master of circumstances

Once I heard those words, I knew that it was too late to warn Marley

Once I heard those words, I knew that it was too late to warn Marley. Jay had mossied his lanky ass over to her table - the first place I should've loooked - with Yolanda at his arm as if Marley was going to drop to her knees with joy.

From where I was standing, it looked like she was one second from ripping his head off and throwing it over the venue's balcony. I had her down for it - witnesses and all.

"I'll be back." I told Kayla, and before she could reply I was half way to Marley's table that was now dead silent. The music still lingered in the background as the DJ attempted to keep the party still going, and for the most part no-one was paying too much attention since they were enjoying themselves.

"Marley, I can't believe you are acting like this. I thought you would be happy to see your damn mother." Jay argued, sticking up for a so-far quiet Yolanda.

"And why the fuck would your hammer-head ass think that?" she hissed, "Does anything about me say I want to be kombaya with her? "

"Maybe if you stepped outside of your lavish ass life you would, these people ain't your family. We are."

Marley scoffed at him, the tension on Ron's face displaying the irritation growing inside of him. He was moments away from talking his own shit, but his resistance came from the fact that it was not the place nor time for this.

"Look, I get that you wanted to do this...nice gesture" I said, stepping up, "But you should've gave us a heads up."

Yolanda's eyes scanned over me, as if she was really taking in how much I had grown since this last time she saw me - a look of both shock and regret present.

"Why?" Jay challenged me, "Because Marley's been acting like she's your mother all these years? Newsflash she's not -"

"Newsflash you might want to back the fuck up." I grilled him.

"Yeah, or what?" "

My dude, you don't want to find out that or what. This nigga here will ball you up like a pretzel and pass you back to ya folks." Ron said, placing a hand on Jay to calm him down.

See, I was calm, cool and collected - because I was confident that although I was the younger brother, Jay couldn't whoop my ass on his best day. But shit, he could try if today was that day.

"Look, I ain't come here to fight." Jay said, finally simmering down upon request, "I came here to have a good time with my family, and hopefully mend things between all of us...including Mommy. She's not perfect, but damn, can't y'all at least try?"

The tension between us was so thick, you could slice it with a knife and serve it to Marley's guests. Since it was her party and ultimately her decision, I glanced over to my big sister who looked as if her perfect night had just been ruined.