10 | answers

Emory was getting on my last damn nerves

Emory was getting on my last damn nerves. It was that simple. There was no beating around the bush about it.

For someone that was redeeming his overbearing and controlling ways, he wasn't doing a very good job of it. He sucked, a lot, actually. That was why I had decided to cut ties early, telling him that I just needed space after his rant about how I should've turned down the hosting job from Jackson - and let him cohost instead.

HA! Imagine that - a crowd full of people being forced to listen to a man who got his personality from Hotep podcasters.

It was safe to say that he had ruined my morning with ease, so much so that I hadn't even contributed to conversation over breakfast or during the afternoon shopping trip with Jalisa and Marley.

With Marley's birthday party that following weekend, I still needed to pick out an outfit to make sure I was dressed appropriately for the fancy occasion. Come saturday, we would be partying at a sky-high venue and while at first I thought I wouldn't be in attendance, I admittedly was excited for it.

I hadn't done anything fun in a while, a party being the perfect distraction from SLAM and annoying ass Emory. I was even more ready once I spotted a fire cocktail dress on the rack of an upscale boutique the girls and I stopped in - the shade of green with a silver reflect immediately catching my eye.

I loved a good slit in the leg, as well as the thin, silk material that always melted against my body, falling into my curves and creases just the right way. And it probably, no, definitely wasn't smart to spend five hundred dollars on a dress for one night when I had so much other shit going on, however I remembered that therapy came in many forms - and today I chose retail.

In addition to that, I had finally made that phone call to Vernon, the owner of The Dove. It was confirmed that I would be joinging Jackson on stage for Friday's mic-night - my first official night as his co-host. Hell, I was still in shock, but also extremely grateful for the spontaneous opportunity - that feeling only amplifying once Vernon informed me I would walk home each night with a portion of the night's sales as salary.

I had killed two birds with one stone - from that point on my attitude completely shifting as I anticipated the start of my new position.

"Look who turned that frown upside down." Micah teased as I entered the main house to find Jalisa. I needed some advice about my outfit for my first hosting night, and after yelling across the hall for ten minutes I realized she had left the guest house without telling me - leaving me to ultimately talk to myself.

I rolled my eyes playfully, "And look who's still in my business. Have you seen Jalisa?"

Micah removed his eyes from the TV to look me over before replying, "She took the kids to get some snacks, we're having a movie night. Want to join?"

"Depends," I shrugged, making my way over to the large creme sectional, "Are you going to spend the whole time asking questions as if I've already seen the movie?"