VIII. Breach

a/n: season twoooo babies 🤑 this chapter is more of a filler/exposition type of thing but it's honestly the last one like that...chapter 9 onwards they're all pretty plot-heavy iirc

"Now presenting to his royal majesty, the Lady Y/N L/N!" a man cried out as you were escorted into the palace by Sannes. You looked around awkwardly. It had been some time since you had been forced to interact with the nobles, and you were a completely different person now. You were no longer just a lady but a soldier, and a strong one, at that. Drawing your black cloak tighter around you, you wished Tullia, Mikasa, Jean, and Eren were there too.

You did not recognize by name most of the noblemen, though you did see your father. He smiled proudly at you as you walked down the aisle, approaching the throne, though King Fritz did not sit upon it. Instead, a portly, middle-aged man with eyes that reminded you of Krista's, for some reason, awaited you as you knelt before him, bowing your head.

"My lord," you said. He placed his hand under your chin, forcing you to look up at him.

"Lady L/N," he said. You met his gaze steadily, refusing to waver, for what was he compared to Annie and Eren in their titan forms? You had faced worse than a man like him.

"It's been a long time since a member of one of the noble families became a soldier, and for you to have proven yourself so completely is delightful. You have done the L/N name a great service, as the unofficial leader of the infamous Wings of Death. From what my informants tell me, you and Eren Jaeger were the ones to take down the Female Titan," he said.

"I'm afraid your informants were biased, then, as I couldn't have done it without Mikasa Ackerman, Tullia Ferraro, and the rest of the Scout Regiment," you said.

"Ackerman," he repeated.

"That's correct," you said.

"No wonder she is strong, then. The Ackermans were originally a member of the nobility — known as the King's Spears. They have a gene in them that activates, seemingly at random, causing them to have blinding amounts of power. However, eventually, the Ackermans, along with the Oriental Clan, betrayed the king and left him. They have been viewed unfavorably ever since," he said.

"Is there a reason that I am strong?" you said. He considered this.

"None that I can think of. You and the Ferraro girl are merely freaks of nature," he said.

"No," your father interrupted, "Not a freak of nature. Special."

"It's the same thing, Lord L/N," one of the noblemen said with a laugh. You recognized him to be the one that had tried to take you when you were nine years old, and you knew that when the time came, he would not survive your wrath. But not yet. Not now.

"Regardless, as an initiation of sorts, I will tell you one of the many secrets you will soon come to know. As the heir to the L/N name, you would have learned them anyways, but your prowess led me to induct you into the First Interior Squad, so that you may actively protect them with your life," he said.

"I understand and am grateful for this opportunity," you said.

"The true royal family is Reiss."

You shot to your feet, scrambling backwards, away from Lord Reiss.

"So you are the true ruler? King Fritz has been nothing more than a puppet this whole time?" you said, pointing at him accusingly.

"That's correct, but nobody can know this. You will learn why, in time, but for now, be content with this knowledge and prove that we can trust you," he said. You knew that, as important as this was, you could not send word to the Scouts quite yet. You needed more information, and the only way you could obtain it was by getting Lord Reiss to trust you.