IX. Promise

a/n: in honor of my birthday here is a double update

You made it to where the rest of the Scouts and Garrison were waiting in record time. Gasps of shock and relief at the sight of reinforcements broke out, and more than a few murmurs of your name were thrown about when your black cloak was noticed.

Dismounting and guiding your horse onto the lift to be tied on the ground, you sprinted over to where Tullia, Mikasa, and Armin were, a blond man desperately trying to talk to them. Mikasa was the first to notice you, and when she did, her eyes widened and she promptly hid her face in her scarf. Tullia, who was curled up in a ball, looked up at you briefly, her eyes red and puffy, before she lay back down again. Armin refused to even meet your eyes.

"Guys, what's the matter?" you said. They were silent, and worry built in you until Mikasa finally broke, tears slipping from her pretty eyes.

"I'm so sorry," she said, hugging herself tightly. You sat beside her, putting your arms around her gently.

"For what?" you said.

"We couldn't save him. He's gone, and it's our fault," she said. Tullia did not move, and Armin whimpered. You squeezed her tightly before standing, pulling her to her feet. She seemed surprised at the coldness on your face.

"No, it's not. It's nobody's fault but Reiner and Bertholdt's. Get over yourself, all of you! Moping around isn't going to help Eren. When was the last time you ate?" you said. Tullia let out a choked sob.

"Why did I trust him?" she moaned, ignoring your question completely. You noticed she still had the ring Reiner had given her on her finger.

"He fooled all of us, Tullia," you said. She sat up abruptly, pointing an accusing finger at you.

"But not like he fooled me! Did he kiss all of us? Did he touch all of us? Did he pretend to be in love with all of us?" she said.

You were speechless, your mouth open as you wanted to speak but could not find the words.

"No, he didn't. But he was friends with all of us, and he did betray all of us. I understand that this is harder for you than it is for everyone else, but Tullia, we are all struggling. What we need to know is if you'll have the strength to fight him when it comes down to it, because it will. You, Y/N, and Mikasa are the strongest we've got as of right now," Jean said, his low and commanding voice sending shivers down your spine. He was goofy and cocky and smug, but when it came down to it, he was as serious as one could ask for.

Tullia's face settled into a look of determination as she nodded at Jean, who extended his hand to help her up.

"I'll do it. I'll kill him myself if I have to, but I will get revenge for what he did to Shiganshina, to Trost, to Eren, and to me," she said.

"Tullia, remember that the objective of this mission isn't to kill Reiner and Bertholdt but merely to rescue Eren. Do not let yourself get carried away," you warned her.

"It may not be the objective, but I doubt anyone would complain if it happened anyways," she said instead. You exchanged looks with Mikasa, who nodded slightly at your unspoken request. She would watch out for Tullia.

"We believe that Reiner and Bertholdt would have taken Eren and Ymir to the Forest of Giant Trees," Section Commander Hange said, pointing to a map, "where they would then wait until nightfall, when they no longer have to worry about titans attacking them as they run the rest of the way to wherever it is they come from."

"So we're on a fixed schedule, then. We have to make it there before sundown," you said.

"That's right," she affirmed.