Chapter 2

Natalie

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" The woman asks me, her tone dripping with fury.

I realize in that moment the woman is Corinne, my friend Jenna's older sister and a class A bitch. It seems the only person in this pack who likes her is my mate.

Great.

Before I lose my shit, I turn to walk away slamming the door behind me. I hear Jude call out "Natalie, wait!" but I don't bother. I try to keep my emotions in check until I can get back to my house, or at least to my car before I let the torrent of tears fall.

I make it to the front door in record time and fling the door open. As soon as I exit I run into a thick wall of firm, slick muscle.

A new scent surrounds me, more like sandalwood and pine. Earthy and comforting, but equally as amazing as Jude's. My wolf howls out 'mate' again and I look up into Eli's blue eyes. The exact same as Jude's

"Natalie?" He asks as he catches me to prevent me from falling.

"Mate." I say again and his eyes widen.

"Hey, sunshine." He says with a killer smile and my heart palpitates.

Sunshine.

The pet name both of them gave me a couple of years ago. They said my presence was like the warmth of basking in the sunshine on a warm summer day. That clicks a realization in my mind.

"How long, Eli?" I ask, narrowing my eyes.

"How long what?" He asks, obviously confused. He rubs his hands up and down my arms and the tingles are incredible, but I push the thought away to focus.

"How long have you known I'm your mate?" I ask and he sighs heavily before tugging on his hair, a signal I know all too well as meaning he's uncomfortable.

"Since our eighteenth birthday." He says.

"Almost two years?" I question and he nods.

"Yes, but you know we couldn't tell you. You know the rules."

He was right of course. All too often an older wolf would tell a younger one that they were mates, for them to give themselves to the older one only to find out that they weren't. It's the most despicable way for someone to take advantage of another so, we were banned from ever saying who our mates were until they were of age.

"Did you wait for me?" I ask him quietly, unable to meet his gaze. He cups my face with his large hands and forces me to meet his blue eyes. His blonde hair is longer than it was when I left last, nearly sweeping down to cover his eyes. He has filled out well, chiseled abs and strong biceps, broad shoulders, high cheekbones and the most gorgeous, pouty lips.

God how had I never noticed how beautiful his lips are before?

"Yes, of course I waited for you, sunshine. Why would you-" He was cut off by thundering footsteps coming down the stairs. I turned to see Jude, Corinne hot on his heels, bounding towards me. Eli let out a loud growl that forced Corinne to stop and lower her eyes in submission.

"I need to go." I whisper to Eli and break from his grasp.

"Natalie, wait! Please let me explain!" I hear Jude call, but ignore him not even sparing him a glance. I get in my car and hear Eli call my name as well just before I slam the door shut. I take off down the gravel road, only looking back once.

Just in time to see Eli punching Jude in the face and Corinne yelling at him to stop.

I can't stop the tears from flowing now and I furiously wipe them away with my jacket sleeve. I think about going home, but decide against it knowing that's the first place they will look for me. I take the half hour drive to the little human town closest to the pack and stop at my favorite coffee shop. I park the car and walk up to the barista. It's the afternoon and there's hardly anyone else in there, but the smell of coffee is still strong and the familiar environment helps soothe my scattered nerves.