Chapter 1: The Condition

Percy POV

I took a deep breath as I waited behind the red, velvet curtains. Talk shows always made me nervous even the fun ones. It was expected that a celebrity has to give something personal up in these interviews.

"Mr. Jackson, you're mic is all set," the technician affirmed.

"Thank you," I whispered.

I readjusted my suit jacket to cover the wires. I nodded and smiled at him. He seemed like a nice man and a hard worker. For a second, the middle-aged man seemed taken aback. He looked surprised, but he managed to recover quickly.

"You're welcome, sir," he responded.

I chuckled as I looked at the man. He was working backstage for the Graham Norton show.

"Sir, I'm half of your age. You can simply call me by my first name. That's completely fine, and I know that you know who I am," I replied politely.

Almost everyone knew who I was: perks of being a teenage pop star.

The man simply nodded in shock. Clearly, he didn't get treated with much respect by celebrities. I understood why. Singers and actors were usually so busy that they didn't look twice for their help. However, I was still a human being.

London, UK.

This was my second-to-last stop for my extremely successful 2nd world tour. My manager set up an interview today even though I wasn't interested. The truth was that I didn't need any more publicity.

But, whatever the label wanted always happens, so here I was.

I sighed before taking another breath.

The show would start soon. As soon as Graham says my name, I'd walk onto the stage. First, I'd perform a hit song. Then, we'd sit down and talk. Hopefully, the conversation would be funny or personally informative.

That's what people wanted from me all the time. As a celebrity, I realized quickly that we were open machines of entertainment.

I wasn't complaining though because I loved my fans. They were the reason why I was standing here living out my dreams. But, it is so difficult and exhausting sometimes.

"All right, everyone, please welcome Grammy award-winning, pop sensation, Percy Jackson," Graham announced boldly.

I smiled as I walked onto the mini-stage.

The lights flashed on my face, but I was used to it. I was also used to the cheering from the audience. Compared to the arenas that I sell out, this was nothing.

I walked towards the microphone as I waved. The music started playing before I even got to my position. It was rather annoying when the sound guys jump the gun. Regardless, I managed to adjust without showing any stress. I had enough experience with performing.

Viva la Vida started playing.

I started singing on cue. I knew that I had a great singing voice. After all, people loved and bought my music because of it. This song was probably the biggest hit from my second album.

My voice resonated through the room as I finished in a few minutes.

Cheering erupted from the audience as I smiled. The fans were always so refreshing. I smiled and waved as I walked towards Graham, hugging him, and then, sitting down on the couch.

"Wonderful, Percy Jackson everyone, thank you so much for that performance," Graham said in his British accent.

"Thank you for having me. It's an honor," I replied.