Chapter 2: The News

Annabeth POV

"Annabeth, it's my money that will help you into Julliard. Don't forget that," the step-monster spat at the ground. 

I've heard this threat before, and I wanted to scream at Helen. It wasn't her money; it was my father's money. 

Instead, I sighed as I gazed at the list of chores she had for me. 

It was a long list of ridiculous chores including, but not limited to, cleaning the bathrooms, cooking dinner for the boys, and doing laundry. 

"Yes, Helen, I'll be right on these after finishing my homework," I said with fake obedience. 

As much as I despised Helen, if I wanted to pursue my dreams of going to Julliard, then I needed the money in my trust fund. Technically, Helen did have the power to take that money away until I turned 18. 

"No, do the chores first. We all know that your dumb brain always takes forever to complete your work," Helen ordered. 

My hands closed into fists as I bit my tongue. Anger flashed through my body because no one questioned my intelligence. I wanted to punch the woman in the face. 

However, I took a deep breath and controlled myself. 

"As you wish, Helen," I said curtly. 

Helen smiled obnoxiously before leaving. She was wearing a flowy dress since she was going to a business party. She always enjoyed her parties, which left me to take care of the boys. 

I felt a metallic taste in my mouth from all of the fake respect in my voice, or maybe, it was blood. I took the list from the countertop and got started. 

As soon as Helen left, I told myself to screw it and screw her. 

I went into my room and turned on the radio. The music helped me focus on doing my homework. Plus, the boys were playing video games, so they wouldn't be a bother for a while. 

"All right, ladies and gents, the next song is from one of your favorites. I hope ya'll dig this sensation song from the only and only Percy Jackson," the radio host announced. 

I groaned as In My Blood started playing. 

Percy was a talented artist. His music was amazing, but my perception of him as a person clouded my judgment. 

I did NOT like Percy Jackson. 

I quickly turned the radio to another channel, but that station was also playing Percy's music. It was the third pop station that finally had music from someone else. I started singing along as I completed my work. 

It didn't take that long despite how challenging my classes were. 

I had finished singing a Calypso song when my best friend called me. Calypso wasn't my favorite teen celebrity, but she had a few good songs (not that many, though). She was in the industry more due to her family. 

"Thalia, what's up?" I asked brightly. 

"Hey, Annie, I wanted to tell you some important news, so-"

"Thalia, I told you not to call me Annie. I hate that nickname; it makes me feel like a kid," I said firmly. Thalia just never listened though. 

I could hear her laughing as an engine roared. 

"Where are you going? And, what's the news?" I asked curiously. 

"Well since you rudely interrupted me, I'm not sure if I should tell you," Thalia countered slyly. I could imagine the smirk on her face.