Chapter 19: The Party

Percy POV

I was careful with the paparazzi. I was forced to be with Rachel, and I had no intention of flaunting the fake relationship with the public.

As such, the tabloids didn't know about me and Rachel.

Of course, the entire school and town knew about my relationship. However, I strayed away from answering any questions on social media or the tabloids. Rachel wanted to go live with our fake relationship, but I refused.

Fortunately, even if I was dating for real, the label would've waited before publicizing my relationship.

So, officially and publicly, I was still single. It was the only good thing that was happening right now. I didn't have to commit to my stupid reality.

After my breakdown yesterday, I decided to talk to my mom. I appreciated Jason for helping me, but I needed someone with whom I could be truly vulnerable with.

"Hey mom, can I talk to you?" I asked quietly.

"Of course, honey. I've been waiting for this. You're gonna tell me what's been happening, correct," my beautiful mother acknowledged directly.

I nodded; my hands were suddenly sweating. We were in the kitchen. She was preparing dinner while I was sitting at the kitchen island on a barstool.

"I feel like I have no control over my life," I said quietly.

I felt pathetic and helpless saying it out loud.

My mom stopped fiddling with the pasta and came over. She stood next to me and gently placed her hand over mine. Her face looked concerned.

"Percy, what's going on? You've been so disturbed lately, even before you found out about Gabe's release," my mom expressed. "Percy, you're safe, honey."

"I don't know. It's like my surroundings are controlling my life. I have no control, mom, and I feel helpless. I'm definitely not happy," I said genuinely.

I stood up in frustration.

"Mom, this was supposed to be a break. It was supposed to be a vacation to reconnect with my family and friends, but I feel damn broken and alone instead," I stated boldly.

My mom came forward quickly and hugged me.

I loved my mother's hugs. They were so comforting and supportive. She was the most important person in the world to me. I gratefully accepted her warmth.

She pulled away and fixed her gaze on me.

"Percy, if you don't like your life right now, then go ahead and change it," my mom said.

I liked her words. They were powerful, but they were easier said than done. I could imagine myself writing a song over them.

"Percy, is it your career?"

"I love singing and making music, mom. I just can't deal with everything right now. I can't make my own decisions. They all have so much power," I said.

"You are extremely powerful too, Percy. I named you after a Greek hero because I knew that you were powerful, powerful enough to have a good, happy destiny," my mom expressed with a smile.

I sighed as I sat back down. My head was hurting from all the stress.

"How about this, Percy? Write a song. Write a happy, upbeat song about changing your life so that you can have the vacation you wanted."

I gazed at my mom as she gazed at me. Her smile was warm as she patted my shoulder. She stayed next to me until I nodded.

Considering I wasn't feeling happy or upbeat, this would be a challenge. However, that's what my mom wanted. She was giving me an adequate distraction, stemming from a hobby that I loved.