14

A tangle of emotions filled the air. For a moment Shen Yu forgot to move. He maintained his position, half-reclining against the emperor's body.

Shang JunLin didn't know what to think. He didn't immediately push Shen Yu away.

Finally Shen Yu returned to his senses and hurriedly withdrew.

"Careful."

The path was slippery because of the snow. Shen Yu backed away so quickly he almost slipped.

With his quick reaction speed, Shang JunLin caught Shen Yu in his arms.

Shen Yu's mood fluctuated wildly. For a moment he almost relaxed, and then he saw Shang JunLin's arm firmly supporting his body. He awkwardly lowered his eyes.

After a while, the man showed no sign of releasing him, and Shen Yu glanced at him carefully. "Your Majesty?" he asked tentatively.

"Hmm?"

Shang JunLin's expression was calm and his eyes were clear. He was obviously unperturbed. Shen Yu had to laugh at himself for thinking too much. It was just an accidental touch. How could Shang JunLin be flustered by something as minor as that?

"Go inside."

"Very well."

Shang JunLin escorted him back to his room. After visiting a short while longer, Shang JunLin left.

While Shen Yu wasn't overly perturbed by the mishap, he had no idea how many waves were surging through Shang JunLin's heart at the moment.

Shang JunLin walked all the way back to the imperial study, then dismissed all the palace servants except Meng Gonggong.

Usually he could handle official business with ease, but right now his whole mind was filled with the sensation of that gentle touch on his jaw.

Cool and soft.

He couldn't help reaching up and lightly pressing the place Shen Yu had touched. His eyes flashed with a trace of bewilderment.

Why...

Meng Gonggong stood to the side, eyes fixed carefully on nothing. He didn't dare to disturb the contemplative emperor.

At noon Shen Yu woke up from a nap. He was startled to see the man sitting by his bed.

Shen Yu sat up, clutching the quilt. "Why didn't Your Majesty have someone call me?"

"When this emperor saw you sleeping soundly, I didn't want to wake you." Shang JunLin didn't understand why he'd suddenly returned to Yuzhang Palace and sat by Shen Yu's bed the rest of the afternoon.

The emperor's face was calm as usual. Without thinking about it too much, Shen Yu got up and dressed. "How long has Your Majesty been here?"

"Not long," Shang JunLin lied.

Clearly he'd been here more than an hour. Mu Xi, who was sorting out Shen Yu's outer robe, accidentally glanced at Shang JunLin. Meeting the emperor's eyes, she immediately looked away.

Well... If His Majesty said it wasn't a long time, it wasn't a long time. Anyway, it wasn't her own young master who was waiting around for someone. She didn't try to guess what the emperor was thinking.

After tidying himself, Shen Yu followed Shang JunLin from the room. Mu Xi poured hot tea and retreated.

Shang JunLin looked at Shen Yu without speaking, and Shen Yu asked in a mischievous tone, "Your Majesty, did something important happen for you to come here at this hour?"