60

In the face of Shang JunLin's overwhelming, aggressive aura, Shen Yu found it slightly difficult to breathe.

He even felt a little confused. Did he say something? Why was Shang JunLin suddenly so excited?

After thinking about it, Shen Yu moved away a little. No matter what the reason, he'd better back away from this Shang JunLin who was exuding waves of danger.

Shang JunLin noticed this small movement. He put a hand on Shen Yu's back, blocking his way. "Why is Ah Yu trying to hide?"

Shen Yu played dumb. "What does Your Majesty mean?"

Shang JunLin didn't want to give him a hard time, so he restrained his energy. "What steps would Ah Yu like to take?"

Shen Yu wasn't sure when Shang JunLin started calling him "Ah Yu" instead of "noble monarch". It happened so gradually that Shen Yu was already used to it.

"First replace the eunuch in charge of Yuzhang Palace. Then we'll see."

"Ah Yu can decide everything. This emperor will review the candidates first. The same thing won't happen again, this emperor won't allow it!"

In the final analysis, the reason there was a problem with the eunuch in charge of Yuzhang Palace was because Shang JunLin hadn't taken the matter seriously enough in the beginning. If he'd checked more carefully before appointing someone, the current situation wouldn't have occurred.

"Thank you, Your Majesty." Shen Yu narrowed his eyes. He knew that a thousand-mile dike could collapse because of an ant hill. He didn't expect the people under him to have no flaws, but he wasn't going to tolerate people who didn't know where to draw the line.

Now that it was an issue, Shen Yu ordered Mu Xi to check everyone in Yuzhang Palace. At first, he hadn't expected to live in the palace for very long. That was why he didn't have high requirements for his servants, and certainly never trusted them with anything critical. However, the most important factor was that Shen Yu usually presented himself as good-natured and agreeable. It had caused some people to become overly ambitious.

Shen Yu was favored by the emperor, and Yuzhang Palace soared because of it. The servants who served in Yuzhang Palace had more prestige than people who served elsewhere. That had always been the rule of life in the imperial palace. Shen Yu didn't intend to change that, but he also wasn't going to let someone use his name to make trouble.

Meng Gonggong quickly selected a list of candidates and showed it to Shang JunLin.

The man's eyes scanned each entry on the list. When he saw a certain name, Shang JunLin paused and looked up with a smile that wasn't a smile. "If this emperor remembers correctly, this Meng Yuan is your adopted son, correct?"

"Yes, yes." Meng Gonggong didn't dare to lie. "This slave looked for people according to the noble monarch's requirements. This slave has watched that child Meng Yuan grow up and knows his character better than anyone else. That's why this slave had the audacity to add him to the list."

After saying this, Meng Gonggong felt a little uneasy. "When this slave added Meng Yuan's name, this slave had selfish intentions. First, this slave knows everything about his background. Second, the noble monarch is a good master. If Meng Yuan can serve at the noble monarch's side, it will be his good fortune."

Shang JunLin rubbed his fingers along the edge of the list, and his eyes were unreadable.

Meng Gonggong felt even more apprehensive, and he smiled bitterly to himself. He really didn't want to miss this opportunity, so he dared to indulge his selfishness.

"This emperor knows you think highly of your adopted son. A little is fine. Never try to go too far. This emperor has reviewed the list and sees that everything is in line with the noble monarch's requirements. You can send the people over to the noble monarch. As for who will get the position, the noble monarch will decide." Shang JunLin glanced lightly at Meng Gonggong and tossed the list back to him.