Chapter 27 - "Have you ever beaten someone up?"

Courtney sank back onto her bed and typed out a caption for the photo of her outfit. An outfit that was matched by the colorful fabric she'd wrapped around the brace on her ankle.

Embrace the hardships.

Em-brace. Haha!

She smiled at the stupidity of her pun but who didn't need a dumb pun on a Monday morning to cheer them up? As she posted, a notification from the school app popped up. She opened it and froze.

It was a meme. The title: Going from a great weekend into Monday be like...

What followed was her tumble routine into her spraining her ankle. She stared at it, watching over and over how she'd performed flawlessly up until the point she hit the ground and cried out.

"You have got to be kidding me!" she shouted.

Tossing aside her phone, she buried her face into her comforter and screamed. The result was a muffled sound of anguish and despair. Okay, that was a bit on the exaggerated side but she didn't care. She wanted that video to be murdered and buried. No, she wanted it to be buried alive and she'd derive pleasure from its screams...

Which technically would be her scream so...

Freaking fudge buckets!

She screamed again and when out of breath, kept her face pressed into the bed. Two weeks. But what did two weeks matter when that video would live on after she healed.

"Hey, Sunshine," Heather said. "Are you all right?"

Completely. I usually start Mondays by having an emotional breakdown. I mean, doesn't everyone? I can't be alone in this?

The bed dipped as Heather took a spot beside Courtney. Still, Courtney didn't lift her head. She wanted to be buried alive. Okay, that was extreme and possibly the worst way to die. Ever! She wanted to not be the girl in the video.

Not possible.

That left accepting it and moving on.

Embrace.

Ha! The pun isn't as amusing as it was five minutes ago.

"I see," Heather said.

At this psychic moment of her sister's, Courtney lifted her head. Not a psychic moment, she merely held Courtney's phone. Courtney rolled onto her back and stared up at the ceiling.

"Is it just this?" Heather asked.

Courtney shook her head, which she knew was undoing the work she put into her hair. But who cared?

"What else?" Heather asked.

"A gif and Youtube video of my scream overlapped by a goat's scream."

"Ah." Heather peered down at Courtney with a concerned look. "You know, you could have told me about this."

"To what end?"

"I think I can do something about it?"

Courtney slowly rose like her hope. "Can you?"

"I can try." She smiled softly. "I know you are the easy-going child but that doesn't mean you have to be alone all the time. You can ask for help."

"Oh."

Heather stood. "Leave it to me." She stopped at the door. "Next time, you don't have to get to the point of screaming into your bed."

"But it was so dramatic and entertaining," Courtney said.

Heather didn't laugh, her eyes piercing Courtney. Right, can't hide behind humor with someone heard me screaming into my bed.

"Thanks, I'll remember."