Chapter 37 - "Am I still your Wise Ole Sage then?"

Courtney didn't breathe. In fact, she'd decided that breathing was overrated. It was also pointless to breathe when she wasn't moving, couldn't move, her body frozen with tension.

But in a breath, she decided to breathe after all. She turned from a statue to a firework, exploding from her seat and screaming as Aiden twisted out of the reach of a linebacker and dove into the end zone.

Around her, the stands were filled with fireworks instead of people, their excitement as explosive as Courtney's. On the sidelines, the cheerleaders were firecrackers, their pompoms sparks in the air. Courtney turned to Miguel and they both screamed in each other's faces then at the field.

Courtney faced Micah and found him cheering as well. She hopped on her good foot and grabbed his arms. He laughed and Courtney threw her arms around his neck. When he hugged her back, Courtney kissed him.

"I think I understand why people like football," Micah said, grinning.

"Because it was a great game or because a cute cheerleader kissed you?"

"Can it be both?"

"As long as I'm the only cheerleader kissing you."

Micah blushed and Courtney broke away from him, cheering again, needing somewhere for her excitement to go. On the field, the team surrounded Aiden and hoisted him onto their shoulders. The squad joined in, encircling the team. Courtney moved to join the mob but remembered she stood on the bleachers, not the sidelines.

No matter. Next week she'd be on the sidelines. Next week she could be back in uniform. For now, she'd be one of the fireworks in the stands. Besides, how often did someone get the chance to be a firework? Very rarely, if at all; she needed to remember this moment.

"What?" Courtney asked Micah, catching him staring at her.

He shook his head, looked down at the ground, then back at her.

"I can see why you and my brother are such good friends," he said.

Courtney smiled. When he said that statement Micah didn't sound small. A completely nonsensical thought but it made sense to her. When Micah talked about Denzel before he sounded...well like a little brother, not the Micah she knew. But now he sounded like himself.

"Because we love football?" she asked.

"No," he said. "Because when you love something, you love it in a way that makes everyone else want to love it."

"You love football now?" she teased.

"I think because of you I finally understand my brother."

Courtney kissed Micah lightly. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For coming with me."

"I thought I drove you here?"

Courtney shoved his shoulder and Micah laughed. Which she hoped he never stopped doing around her because it was one of the best sounds.

"And you drove me here so can we please leave now?" Miguel said. "I've put in my allotted time of being normal. I'd like to revert to my former self now."

Both Courtney and Micah looked at Miguel sitting on the bleacher.

"Forgot I was here, didn't you?" Miguel said. "You should know I've been ignoring your soppy moment."

"For that," Courtney said. "I feel like making you walk home in those new loafers of yours."

"Oh yes, because I don't possess this thing called a phone and an Uber account."