Twenty-Five

Alexander carried the small box with both hands, grasping it firmly so that none of the contents inside would even shift as he walked.

Despite his mother's insistence and the call of tradition, the circumstances were much different than an average betrothal. No, he should not see his wife-to-be on the night before their wedding, but, did a week not make up for that alone?

His journey was nowhere near as long as some of the quests he had concurred nor the terrain too rough for his horse's hooves. There were no steep mountains to climb and no storms to weather. All that and still, this was the most difficult of all the voyages he had been a part of.

Because now he was away from the thing he cared about most.

In the past, it was assumed that that thing he was fighting toward would become what he desire most in the world but it never came true. And now he was going away from what he wanted just to fight for her.

It was odd and certainly a painful experience but one he was grateful for every day. To wake up on the campgrounds, his men asleep in the tents beside him and thank the lord he had a woman to return home to, was enough for him.

So now he needed to repair the damage that may have been done during their time apart. He had been so quick to leave once they knew where King Paul may have gone, he didn't wish to disturb Katerina so late at night to say his goodbyes.

Of course, now, knowing that no one would tell her of his whereabouts while he was away, he wished he could go back and change that.

After navigating through the corridors, Alexander stood outside of Katerina's door, his hand poised to knock, hesitating. He hated to upset tradition and she needed her rest before tomorrow. As it was, tomorrow night she would not be sleeping so peacefully.

He smiled at the thought of her golden hair splayed about on her pillow, as she rested peacefully. He hoped she had dreams of better times and all the gifts that he would give to her. He knew she wanted for nothing and yet wanted nothing at all, but he wanted to drown her in all the riches of the world. Perhaps he felt guilty for his behavior, or perhaps he was only fighting for the attention of the woman he loved. Either way, she was going to be his to spoil for the rest of their lives and eventually, their children as well.

He turned his back to the door, taking the small chest with him, and found his way to his study. Taking his time, he pulled out a piece of parchment and quill and carefully began to craft a letter.

~•~•~

Katerina awoke the next morning with a smile that hadn't often been present in the last week, but seeing the soldiers return last night was all the confirmation she needed that the maid's tale was true and Alexander had not been avoiding her in the slightest.

When she had left her room to greet them she had been stopped, told she was not to see the prince until tomorrow. While this was upsetting she understood why.

She had several questions to ask him, mainly being where it was he had disappeared off to and the other, why he left without saying goodbye. Knowing the rules of tradition and today being her wedding day, she would not be able to ask him this until after their vows and if she was lucky, hopefully before they retired to their marital bed.

She took a deep breath thinking about what was to come. Her mother had only briefly explained to her the duties and expectations of a wife to her husband and being a princess she was required to provide an heir or the king would find someone else who could. Her mother had once said that she felt guilty for having not provided Katerina's father with a son after all of these years, but he loved her so much that he never strayed from their vows. That was of course, until her death.

Her father, a man who once belonged to God in all ways, turned his back so quickly on the holy word and lusted after his very own daughter.

All these memories, even the happiest from her childhood when her mother was well and cared for her, all led back to the same thing. Her father betraying her. Not only her but God.

An abrupt knock pulled Katerina out of her thoughts. She sniffled and wiped her eyes before calling for the guest to enter, trying to appear bright and cheerful on such a happy occasion.

Vivianna entered with a bright smile on her face, her long hair pinned back in a thick bun, "Good morning my lady!" She said, letting the door swing closed behind her. In her hands, she cared a small chest, a folded letter on top, "I bring you a gift from the Prince. He appears very eager to see you."

Katerina smiled and accepted the wedding gift, placing it down on the bed beside her, and unfolding the envelope first.

My darling Katerina,

I wish to apologize to you and though I regret I cannot do it in person, I refuse to make you wait any longer than you already have.

I failed to say goodbye before leaving for my travels five days ago. I did not wish to disturb your rest and had given instructions for you to be notified of my absence and that I would return on the eve of our wedding.

As I have since returned, I learned you were not informed and for that, I apologize if my deplorable timing caused you any distress. I understand this is an important time but I believe you will trust me when I say I left on good reason.

I cannot tell you now as I do not wish to fill your heart with unfulfilled promises. I will follow through and complete all tasks I have set out to complete, and your support, by my side, as my wife, will be my guiding light.

In this gift, as our wedding vows draw near, I return to you the very gifts you have given me. They are not mine to keep and I am certain there is a story behind their delicate beauty, just as there was behind my stubborn mutt.

Rest well, my love. I shall see you in a few hours where you will soon reclaim your title of Princess.

Yours,

Alexander

Princess Katerina pressed the parchment close to her chest and smiled, happy to hear his words again and know that he had been thinking of her just as much as she had him.

Turning her attention to the box, her curiosity beat out any form of restraint to wait any longer and she flipped open the lid.

Nestled inside, on a blue silk handkerchief was her golden spinning wheel and bobbin. Each had been cleaned of any soup that may have remained on them and shined in the morning sun. She picked up the spinning wheel and held it between her thumb and forefinger, giving the contraption a turn.

Surprisingly, it no longer squeaked as it had for the past several years, ever since her mother had given it to her.

Vivianna watched from the other side of the room, her beautiful smile never once wavering, "My lady, I have prepared your bath already. We should begin to prepare in order to arrive at the chapel on time."