Twenty-Seven

Each droplet of blood that landed on Katerina's dress was more proof of her pain. There weren't enough tears in this world to explain her worries and fears but the bloodshed did.

"I will go with you." She promised, stepping away from the queen, as she anxiously twisted the gold band around her finger.

"No you are not!" Alexander and his father shouted at the same time, jumping to stand in between her and King Paul.

"She shall or I will slit your throat." Her father extended the point of the sword out, nudging the tip against Alexander's chest, halting him where he stood.

The young princess looked back at the queen, who was vehemently shaking her in head in disapproval, "Do not do this. You have no reason to."

"There is no other way." She whispered, sliding the small golden ring from her finger and placing it in the old woman's hand, "Keep this safe for me. Please."

"Of course." The queens lips trembled, holding on tightly to the tiny gift now nestled in her palm.

Katerina took a deep breath, balling her hands into fists, crimson blood falling through the cracks of her fingers, "Either way I must go with him. This way, no one dies because of me." She turned back to see the fallen face of King Theodore, his eyes downcast to the floor in shame, "I did not come here to hurt anyone." She explained, wanting to reach out to him, "please forgive me."

"Forgive me, sweet princess. I should have done more to protect you." King Theodore sighed and stumbled back into the pew where he sat down, exhaustion apparent on his old face.

"You will not be going with him!" Alexander leapt forward again in an attempt to grab hold of Katerina but the Lenningston guards stepped between them just before he could reach her, "She is my wife!" He continued to protest as they held his arms behind his back, his viscous thrashing causing them to struggle a little.

"Come now." Paul announced, "we have much to do. The celebrations in Lenningston have already begun in anticipation for your return."

"They have?" Katerina was shocked and confused. The kingdom did not know her and if they did, she did not feel she deserved the glory they placed upon her.

Paul nodded, linking his arm with his daughter's, "They have missed their Princess. You promised them a queen and when you left you broke their hearts."

"I- I..." she had nothing to say to that, for any apology would be a lie. She glanced back over her shoulder as she was escorted out of the chapel, her blue eyes wide in terror.

Alexander cried after her in distress, struggling against the guards that held him back. The queen sat beside her husband, shock and horror evident on her beautiful face.

The question running through all their minds, 'What happened?'

Katerina did not know. How could she? She did not intend for any of this to happen and still it did. All she wanted was to escape her father and here she was, once again by his side headed off to be wed.

Unable to look at them any longer she focused instead on her shoes as they peaked out from around the edge of her skirt. The little patter of her slipper against the long carpet, was not enough to block out the cries from the man she truly loved and his family.

But she was doing what had to be done.

Right?

"The kingdom was very displeased to hear you had abandoned your promise." Her father said to her as they crossed through the chapel doors and outside where a carriage awaited them.

"Oh."

"No matter. You will return now and they will rejoice your obedience." He smirked down at her as he extended his hand in offering to help her up into the carriage.

He watched her settle into the seat, though her back was stiff and wary of her surroundings. His eyes fell to her blood-soaked hands and he sighed, rubbing his tired eyes in annoyance, "I will have one of my men take a look at that." Was all he said, not bothering to scold her reckless behavior. She had already betrayed him once, and beyond that nothing more was a shock.

"Thank you." She replied, her head down.

Already the air around them was suffocating and thick, and he had not yet even set foot inside of the carriage. The princess was uncertain how long she would survive in his presence but this was the life she now would need to get used to.

"Your majesty?" A quiet sound came from outside the carriage.

"In here. Bandage her hands quickly, we must be off." The king grumbled, gesturing for a young man to enter the carriage with a small chest in his hands.

Her heart suddenly twisted at the sight of the small wooden box, reminding her of the gift she had received only a day ago.

Her mother's gifts being retuned to her... her ring. She prayed Alexander would keep them safe and perhaps even when he took another wife he would not forget her.

The boy knelt in front of her, pulling out a long, thin strip of fabric, and soaking it in a clear solution, "Your hand, my lady." He asked kindly, though his voice shook with anxiety, most likely due to the King observing from the door.

The bandage stung and he wrapped it around the long slice that spread from one edge of her palm down to her wrist. It was deep but nothing more serious than a scratch. They would have it looked at in Lenningston, but until then the bleeding was now under control for the time being at least.

The boy closed up his box of supplies but did not move from where he was kneeling, confusing the princess. He reached over to the door where the king handed him a bundle of thin rope.

"My apologies, princess." He muttered under his breath, looping the rough line around her wrists, and tying them together. When he was finished, he grabbed his things and quickly left her alone with her father.

Defenseless.

Her lips shook with every breath she took, her tongue pressed to the back of her front teeth, trying to stop the vomit that teased her throat.

"You gave me no choice, Katerina." He explained, "We will be home in a day's time." King Paul stepped back, his heeled boots clicking on the cobblestone, and slammed the door closed, making the whole carriage rock back and forth on its axis.

~•~•~
A/N
Same book new cover!
same author new handle!
Irene is my middle name it works out better for when I get married to have a permanent author-name