Thirty-One

She was angry.

Furious.

A passionate fire welled within her as she gripped the blade through the fabric of her skirt, making sure it didn't fall out.

"God forgive me for what I must do." She whispered under her breath, tilting her head to the sky as she pushed open the large doors to the palace.

Two guards stood at the entrance, each keeping their eyes forward, not even sparing her a glance. Confused, she stood there waiting for them to seize her just as she had expected when she left her cell.

But they didn't move.

Tripping over her feet, she walked backward into the palace, keeping her eyes trained on them. She didn't trust whatever was happening.

Why was no one stopping her?

Didn't they know she wasn't meant to be here? That she was being punished?

Placing a good amount of distance between her and them, she spun around, dashing forward to the spiral staircase that would take her to the second floor. Chattering could be heard from the ballroom as she scurried by, preparations for her wedding day in full throttle. Bouquets of lily flowers adorned the tables and the chandeliers were dusted and lit.

Shaking her head, she ignored the marvel, hating the reason behind its existence, and continued on. Swinging herself off the banister, she launched herself up the stairs, taking them as fast as her small slippers could carry her.

~•~•~

The crowded streets of Lenningston parted for the swarm of men on horseback, galloping through the city. The dark and damp streets were pitifully lit with scatters of candles and decorations for the coming celebration. These outrageous acts of showmanship increased the closer they rode to the castle gates, the community clearly far more upkept and cared for.

Prince Alexander pushed his horse faster as they rode towards the gate, his sword swinging at his side as he gripped the hilt prepared to draw. His set of soldiers flanked him on either side, watching the guard towers for any activity.

They couldn't waltz inside but they had enough manpower to force their way through if need be. It did not matter to him what they would need to do, as long as he got his Katerina back.

Much to his surprise, the gate was hastily opened by the only two guards that appeared to be in the courtyard. They bowed their heads as Alexander and his men cautiously trotted through, watching the enemies' every breath carefully. They made no move- not to attack or even scratch their noses. They were absolutely still, seemingly petrified by the situation.

"Where is Princess Katerina?" Alexander demanded to know, pulling on his horse's reigns so it came to a halt.

No answer.

"Are they possessed?" Asked one of his men.

The prince took a second to examine the situation catching one of the guards' eyes before he turned back to his post as if nothing happened.

"No," Alexander said, "they are turning a blind eye." He turned back to the castle and raised his sword, "Search the grounds, find the princess!"

Three groups split up, darting off in opposite directions. The courtyard was desolate and of the guards that were seen out and about, they did not try to interfere with the advancements of the Claridon forces. As the prince headed inside the castle, the rest of the men wandered the grounds. They dismounted, searching through gates and doors, only finding tool sheds and servants' quarters on the outskirts of the land.