[ 16. bye, winston ]

| y/n's pov |

"HEY, HEY. HEY!" I was woken up when my head hit the sandy ground. Whatever I had been using as a pillow was no longer under my head. Thomas was sat up and yelling at a bird. "Get out of here!"

I carefully lifted myself up while Thomas stood and looked around.

"Are they gone?" Newt asked.

"Yeah, I think we're safe for now." Thomas said and leaned down to pick up his backpack. "Okay, we should get moving. Let's pack it up. Aris, come on. Fry, Winston. Let's go."

Winston tried to get up, but groaned in pain. We had wrapped him up with some of the bandages I had found earlier and they were already slightly stained.

"Hey, man." Frypan held out a hand for Winston. "You okay?"

I stood up and swung my own backpack over my shoulders. After that we all climbed up from the rubble of a broken bridge and came to the sight of a massive, destroyed city. Torn down buildings, broken cars, and sand. Lots and lots of sand.

"What the hell happened to this place?" Fry asked, looking at one of the half-collapsed skyscrapers.

"I don't know." Newt answered. "It doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time."

"I hope the whole world's not like this." Aris spoke up.

Thomas suddenly stopped and I slowed down, watching him.

"Woah, woah, hang on, stop." The rest of the group stopped and looked back at him. "Do you hear that?"

A whirring noise from not too far away. A helicopter.

"Get down! Everybody, hide! Hide! Hide!" Thomas exclaimed and Minho pulled me under a small bit of rubble. "Get in here. In here, in here!"

Not only did two helicopters fly over us, but another much larger flying form of transport.

"They're never gonna stop looking for us, are they?" Minho asked once the helicopters were out of view.

Then it was back to walking through the destruction.

"Everyone good?" Thomas asked, looking back at the group.

"Yeah." Winston answered weakly, gripping where he had been scratched.

It took about an hour for us to make it out of the city and onto the top of a large sand hill.

"Those mountains, that's gotta be it." Thomas pointed out into the distance. They were very far away, but the large mountains were visible. "That's where we're going."

"That's a long way off." Newt stated the obvious.

"Then we better get moving."

Beside me, Winston collapsed and slid slightly downhill.

"Winston!" I crouched down beside him and we rolled him over while he coughed and gasped for air.

"Winston! Winston!" His eyes were closed and he didn't try to respond on any way.

"He's hurt pretty bad." Thomas pointed out.