THIRTEEN

Chase wasn't in school the next day either.

I called and left an apology last night. He knew I worked on Mondays, so he would hopefully understand. That didn't stop me from regretting it nonetheless. Whenever I needed him, he was there. And, I couldn't do the same.

I was also worried.

He wasn't one to take school lightly, so when he didn't show, there was a valid reason. We texted between free periods and lunch, none of which his messages had relayed any detail whatsoever. I basically caught him up on the assignments he'd missed in the few classes we shared.

I followed the same routine for the rest of the school day, mentally preparing for the distressful ride home with Mason.

Only, he wasn't there when I got to the lot, and neither was his car.

The thought that he'd gone, hadn't even crossed my mind until I circled the area at least twice. I should have known he'd pull something like this. After he caught me on my way to Chase's yesterday, he hadn't touched me. He hadn't said a word the whole ride to drop me off. But, that didn't mean he forgot.

"Aly!"

I caught her mint Volkswagen pulling out a few spaces down. She whipped her head around, eyes widening as she saw me wildly sprinting towards her. "Kay?" She asked, voice and eyebrows raising as she lowered the window. "What are you doing here?"

I shouldn't have been winded from that short distance, but I'd dropped cross country long ago, freshman year.

"I could say the same for you."

She usually spent her Tuesday's after-school on debate team. I know it seemed like an odd combination, but she needed to voice her opinions somewhere that people actually cared to hear. Rache and I convinced her to join last year. After listening to countless arguments about alternative energy sources and the global consumption of organic substances, we figured she needed an outlet. In addition, Aly was great at arguing so why shouldn't she use her natural talent to benefit somewhere.

"No practice today," she answered the question I hadn't asked. Her eyes studied me momentarily. "Hop in," she decided when she put the pieces together. "Sorry about all the crap, just toss it in the back."

I walked around to the other side and discarded her jacket, as directed. Then I proceeded to dislodge Starbucks cups into the recycling bag between us.

She didn't raise any questions as we drove along. I almost forgot how it felt to travel at a speed below eighty. I squinted as a flare of light reflected off the dream catcher hanging from the mirror. The ornament seemed to radiate a peaceful aura. Warm. Safe.

"Remind me which turn you're on?"

"Wow, gee. You've only been to my house like a thousand times," I smiled.

"Yeah taking the main road," she shot me a duh-glance. "You know I don't usually go the back way."

"Next stop sign we're going left."

"Thank you." She turned into the development, effortlessly. "Looks like you've got company."

I clenched the seat. It took me a few seconds to gather the courage and look up. And when I did, I almost darted from the car without my bag.

"Chase!"

I practically skipped up the stairs to my patio. He was seated on the the swing, and from the looks of it, he'd been out here for a while. The tip of his nose was flushed, and I was sure that his flimsy sweatshirt was barely covering the job. He stood as I approached.