FIVE

"New color," Aly extended her hand towards mine, as I fumbled through my purse with a roll of eyes.

"Here," I said, placing a coral #680 stick in her hands.

She pulled the cap off and ran the color over her mouth, then pressed her lips together. I waited patiently as Rachel stepped back into the room, clad in a fuchsia halter and navy denim skinnies, her thick dark hair pulled into a bun in the center of her head.

Aly frowned at her through the reflection of the mirror.

"You're gonna freeze your little ass off," she commented, running a brush through her golden locks.

"At least my face won't cake over," she shot back with a smirk. I rolled my eyes at the both of them. All of the extra cosmetics and clothing were completely unnecessary, after all this was just Drew's party. Everyone would be too wasted to notice if they arrived in their bare birthday suits.

"It's almost 7," I cut in without once glancing at the time.

Aly squealed internally, and began to thrash around frantically .

"Oh yeah," Rachel snickered, pulling a tube from her pocket. "I borrowed your maybelline."

Aly narrowed her eyes and snatched it from her hands.

My phone vibrated in my jacket pocket, notifying me of a missed message. I scanned it and pressed my eyes shut. How could I have forgotten?

"Guys," I pulled them back to reality for a second, "Masons outside."

"Mason?" Rachel rose a brow, "I thought Chase was picking us up..."

Aly shot a funny look at her.

"Does that bother you Rachel?" she asked, with a devious gleam in her eyes. I frowned as Rachel passed a wide-eyed look in her direction. There wasn't much time for me to comprehend this as a loud bang sounded below them. Aly ran to the window and pulled back the shades. There sat Mason's car, headlights illuminating the darkness.

"I'll get the door," I announced, making a break to towards the stairs. The longer he waited, the more I'd suffer later. I pulled open the front door at the same time he rose his fist to bang once more. I jumped out of the way, my face missing the collision by a millisecond.

He dropped his hand and peered at me blankly, grey eyes seeming to glow under the night's moon.

Before I could mutter an apology, he latched onto my arm, pulling me away from the house.

"Wait-" I hesitated, managing to pull my feet to a halt as my the heel of my boots scraped the gravel. "Aly and Rachel are coming with us."

He released his grip at once as the two came spiraling down the stairs directly behind me. Aly continued to apply her mascara as she descended.

Mason glanced at them without a word, and locked his hand around mine. I walked beside him to the truck, and slid in as far as I could, making room for everyone. His engine roared to life as I was ambushed with the scent of Rachel's Victoria's Secret body spray, so strong it radiated to the front seat.

"Everyone in?" Mason glanced over my shoulder with a smile, playing the role of a loving boyfriend again. Aly shot him a thumbs up. He put the car in reverse, and backed out of my driveway. As my friends continued to gush on in excitement about the party, all I could feel was a sense of dread in the pit of my stomach. Drew's parties never end well, meaning they tend to leave me in awful conditions by the end of the night. Mason's bad enough sober, but with alcohol in his system, he's even more reckless. The best thing to do is to try not to infuriate him in the slightest, but with Chase here, who knows what might happen. I just hoped he'd be distracted enough with Leah to forget I was even there.