By any other name - Part 8 - Mycroft x Reader

(Y/n) sat at her desk writing up some patient notes. The doctor occasionally taking bites of her sandwich as she waited for her next appointment. Clicking enter as she finished the last report. It had only been a day or so since she had gone to see Sherlock. At any other time and in any other situation, seeing Sherlock again after nearly twenty years, would have been a welcome event. For even thought he was a little different when compared to other young men his age, a difference that (Y/n) just put it down to........well, being a Holmes. He was, in his own way, sweet. Well, for a Holmes that is. And she had liked him. The doctor just hoping that when she and Dante did make the journey to the capital again, that the meeting would be a lot more pleasant then the last. And that she wouldn't have to slap him to get his attention. But she would have to see.

"Doctor (Y/l/n)......................" A voice came. (Y/n) looking up to see one of the receptionists poke her head around the door.

"Yes, Sonia......................?"

"There is a gentleman here to see you. He er................he says that its important.................." The dark haired, bespeckled woman replied. Offering her an apologetic smile.

"And does this............gentleman have a name.............?"

"Mycroft Holmes............." Another voice called out from behind the still mostly closed door. (Y/n) rolling her eyes and moving back in her chair.

"That's alright, Sonia. Please let Mister Holmes in." The doctor replied. Giving the receptionist a reassuring smile, as she opened the door. (Y/n) trying to not roll her eyes again as she saw Mycroft dressed in his finely tailored full dark suit with matching dark large overcoat. His black umbrella hooked over his arm. The older Holmes looking quite out of place in the beautiful, casual surroundings of the village.

"Please, Mister Holmes. Take a seat." (Y/n) continued, doing her best to smile, as Mycroft walked into her consulting room. The smile only slipping as the older Holmes took a seat and the door was closed.

"What do you want, Mycroft?" The doctor enquired. (Y/n) firmly crossing her arms over her chest. Watching as her former fiancé got himself comfortable.

She wasn't surprised by this turn of events. Not at all. Even if she hadn't gone to Sherlock to plead her case. Even if Doctor Watson's competition hadn't come up. Even if he hadn't seen Dante that day, she had still expected the older Holmes to turn up one day on her doorstep. It was just so Mycroft. It was what he did. Proving to everyone that he had the upper hand in every situation. That not a single secret in the kingdom could be kept from him. But that didn't mean that she liked it.

Even though he was older, he was still the Mycroft that she remembered. The Mycroft that despite everything, she had loved for so long. And had continued to love for some time after she had left him. (Y/n) spending more than one night crying herself to sleep. Crying even more as she had realised that he wouldn't be doing the same. That he might not have even noticed that she had gone. The young woman that she had been, feeling lost as she had started a new life a world away from her family and all that she knew. Starting a new life, with the new life that had been growing inside her. The first few years a struggle, as she had juggled taking care of her son, and working to prove herself in her new job. Those days though had made her stronger. Had helped turn her and Dante into what they were today, and she did not regret what she had done for the sake of her and her son. Though as he sat there, with his blue-grey eyes looking deep into hers, she couldn't help but find herself wondering how life could have been different if he had listened to what she had had to say that night. If he had been able to look up from his work and take in the news that she wanted to give him. (Y/n) wondering if becoming a father would have changed him for the better. If it would have melted that frozen heart of his. But there was no point in wondering about things that might have been. Or whether a leopard like Mycroft Holmes could change his spots. All that mattered was finding out what he wanted, so that she could get him out of there.

"Well....................?"

"You look well...................."

"Cut the crap, Mycroft. I doubt that you used your connection to find out where I worked just to come all the way from London to tell me that I look well. So, why don't you tell me what you want?" (Y/n) interrupted, as she leant across the table. Doing her best to not lose her temper.

"Indeed................" Mycroft sniffed, as he brushed a little fluff from his trouser leg.

"You went to speak with Sherlock................"

"Yes, Mycroft. I know I went to see Sherlock. I was there. Despite what you might think, I am not a goldfish. My memory is actually quite good. So, if you have just come to go over things that I already know, I think that its best that you leave. I have a lot of important things to do, and my next patient is due any time...................."

"You told my dear brother that you want me to leave you and...........your son alone. Why would you do that....................?"

"Because despite all the years, I still know you Mycroft Holmes. And even though you like to think that you are better, smarter than everyone else, you are ever so slightly predictable. I knew that you would want to try and stick that nose of yours into my business. Business that is of none of you concern. You gave up the chance to be part of my life a very long time ago. You, your work were more important to you than I ever could be. And even if I hadn't left you that night, things would have fallen apart eventually. You see, its just not in you, in any Holmes to love. You can't. You're not capable. And that would have destroyed us, would have destroyed me in the end. I want you to leave us alone because I have no intention of letting you hurt me again. Now, if you don't mind." (Y/n) replied, as she got up from her seat and made her way to her office door. Her progress halted as Mycroft grabbed her wrist.

"That statement isn't quite right thought, is it, (Y/n)? Because there is a Holmes that can love, isn't there. And he is a Holmes, isn't he? Your son..............my son by any other name, is a Holmes. And he is my son.............." Mycroft said. His grip on her wrist loosening a little, as she looked down at him.

"What do you want, Mycroft...................?"