Friends Are The Family We Choose

Kiwi snuggled back in her chair under the parasol, watching the mice playing a ballgame on their bikes in the yard, which was luckily big enough for them to do things like this, for she knew they needed these moments more than they would like to admit.
To be playful and live in the moment instead of worrying about things like Plutarkians, war, or the homesickness that she knew they must be feeling.
While she was watching them play, a smile curled her lips as a warm feeling spread through her body.
Telling them about her parents, and them telling her about theirs, had forged a strong foundation between them and ever since that day, the connection she felt with them only grew stronger and stronger.
She had learned, for instance, that the three furry creatures racing through her garden were more than just best friends.
Their bond could be best described as fraternal, formed by all the things they had been through together and seemed to be unbreakable.

Well, of course there were small fights, from time to time.
But those were rather insignificant, and they always made up with each other after that, though in ways that weren't really familiar to her.
Sometimes they wrestled or kicked each other's asses, while the other time they just ignored each other for a few days before they would wake up deciding that whatever happened wasn't worth it and went on with their daily business as if nothing ever happened.
Quite frankly, she didn't understand a thing about it, but hey, who was she to judge?
At least they made up instead of holding grudges.
That was more than most humans, including her, could say.

The sound of shrieking brakes brought her back to reality, just in time to see Modo and Vinnie crash into each other.
The noise that came with it cut through the bone, and Kiwi immediately jumped at her feet and ran over to them to see if they were okay.
When she arrived at the scene, Vinnie was just pushing himself up from his bike, which lay on its side in the grass, with fuming eyes and a lashing tail.
Signs that immediately alarmed Kiwi, for she was slowly starting to recognize them.
Uh, oh...
Trouble in paradise.
"You big lummox, watch where you're going!", the white-furred hothead yelled angrily at his larger bro with clenched fists, obviously trying his very best not to knock the light out of Modo's eyes.
Modo, however, wasn't really amused either, his glowing red eye being the biggest clue.
Another sign Kiwi had learned how to recognize, although it wasn't really a challenging one.
"Watch it yourself, I had the ball."

Feeling the need to stop this before it would get out of hand, Kiwi opened her mouth to say something, but Throttle beat her to it.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa, bro's... chill. It's a friendly game, remember?"
Kiwi nibbled on her lower lip as she watched Vinnie taking a deep breath to control himself, and she could only admire him for trying, for she was familiar with his temper and lack of self-control.
"Yeah. Yeah, you're right. It's cool", he mumbled, but it didn't sound really convincing.
Even more so, his tail was still twitching, telling Kiwi he was balancing on the edge still.
Modo's response would decide if he would fall off or manage to get back to safer ground.
The grey-furred giant also took a deep breath, but his eye didn't stop glowing as he punched Vinnie on the arm a bit too hard for it to be a friendly punch.
"Sorry, Vinnie my man. I didn't mean to wreck the game", he rumbled, his lips slightly trembling as he hit his white-furred friend again.
Kiwi rolled her eyes as she quickly took a few steps back, knowing perfectly well that the clock just hit wrestle o'clock and she didn't want to get caught between two brawling buff Martians.
As expected, Vinnie narrowed his eyes as he punched Modo back, both the corners of his mouth pointed downward.
"Oh no, it's my fault..."
However, before things could become really ugly, the voice of Sweet Georgie Brown came out of Vinnie's speakers.

"Weeell, we interrupt this show for a bummer newsflash, buddies... The big cheese, Lawrence Limburger, has just announced he's gonna cut the wildlife resu-uuurve... Looks like wipeout-time for our furry friends in the forest. Later, bro's!"