●♥ 𝟠 ♥●

»»——♥——««

»»——♥——««

Throbbing pain seized my entire body, and I stumbled back, my eyes wide. Time seemed to slow down as my chest rose and fell fast. To think I'd set out here to find him and yet setting my eyes on him seemed to shake me out of my senses.

"Avondré?" Lore called out to me, her hands reaching out to grab me, her own eyes wide like mine, alarmed. I turned to her, shutting my eyes for a moment, trying to calm myself down.

"What–what's wrong? You looked like you've seen a ghost." Her eyes searched mine, the alarm in them a vast contrast to the soft tone of her voice. Soothing was probably what she had in mind. The warmth of her hands on my cheeks made my eyes flutter back up, my chest rising and falling at a seemingly normal pace then.

A ghost. That was probably the most appropriate description, wasn't it?

I looked back up to see his retreating figure, his eyes searching around. Never once glancing in this direction, though. My body pulsed with the need to go after him, but I couldn't even move. So what if I had come all this way to see him? It didn't mean I was actually ready to go through with it. Running after him was it. It marked the finality of everything and my throat clogged up instantly at that thought. What would it mean for me after I checked that off my to-do list?

"What?" Lore said again and pulled my attention to her again. But she wasn't looking at me but in the direction I was searching before she turned to me, her brows raised. "Who did you see? Did you see the old woman?" she asked and without wasting a beat, she linked her hands in mine, ready to pull us in that direction.

"No, not her." I instantly replied, pulling her back. Even though I knew he was moving further and further away from us. "Him. My father."

Her eyes widened and with a force I didn't even think she was capable of, she pulled us again and this time I couldn't even try to stop her. The intense determination in her eyes had every hesitation I previously had turn to dust. There she was, not even concerned that I'd just ruined the moment we were having just to help me search for the man she didn't even know.