●♥ 𝟙𝟛 ♥●

»»——♥——««

»»——♥——««

 Lung carcinoma.

They had apparently diagnosed him with that the year before. There was a short period left for him to live. It was that, or he'd have the surgery, that a really low success rate. The details blurred out in my head as I sat rocking myself in the hospital. The putrid smell of antiseptic and bleach that swept through the room made my blood run cold with each passing second, with my mind trailing back to the last time I was in that situation. It tore open wounds that had just begun to heal.

And yet even with the banging of my heart in my throat and blurry people shuffling around me, I couldn't move

Not even the comforting words from Abigail's calm and hearty voice, which pierced through my wails at some point, had any effect on me.

Not when Mikayla rushed in, her wails filling up the entire room too, looking just as terrible as I felt, if not worse. There was so much pain and anguish in her eyes as Stephon tried to calm her down. But there was calming down a mother living in some sort of personal hell. She might have known her only son would definitely meet this fate soon enough, but it was another sort of hell to actually live in that knowledge.

I knew firsthand how that could rip you apart, leaving absolutely nothing behind.

I sat frozen on the seat Abigail had gotten me to at some point. My eyes trained on those words: SURGERY IN PROGRESS.

By then there were no more tears to spill from my eyes and my throat choked, hurting. There was just the excessive tightness of my chest, my lungs closing in on themselves, as did my thoughts. Words that I had drowned out before came swirling back, piercing right through me.

The gemstones are as much of a curse as they are a blessing.

All through the first hour.

They pull soul mates together. Yes, but the people who meet never get to spend much time together.

Into the second.

Something always gets in the way. It's the curse.

And the fourth.

It's why these soul mates have a sense of connection to each other through dreams, painting, whatever is significant to them before they even meet.

And the sixth.

It's some sort of compensation for the short time they would actually spend together.

Even at the tenth when wails had turned to sobs and then piercing graveyard silence. There was nothing stopping those words from piercing through me one after the other.

They never get to spend time together for long.

It's a curse.

It's why I told you guys to spend some time together.

It's those damn gemstones!

I sprung up from my seat, making everyone around me flinch, but I paid them absolutely no attention. Even with how wobbly my feet were, it didn't stop me from pushing forward. Abigail called after me, but I had my mind set on just one thing.

Those damn gemstones.

I moved through the hospital rooms, running right out of the place.

"Eyilore!"

And continued onward, never stopping for one minute back to his house. Cold icy air slammed into me as I pushed forth, causing the hairs on my skin stand at attention.

"Eyilore!"

I stumbled right into the opened door, heaving out labored breath as I tried not to focus on the littered room, not the bloody tissues that laid around the place and definitely not the third painting of me that sat comfortably on an easel. I combed through the nick and cranny of the entire room until I found them.

My chest rose and fell fast just as Abigail stumbled into the apartment, the rise and fall of her chest matching mine. Though her eyes were hard as her nose flared once, they settled on him.

"The hell do you think you're doing?!"

I raised both gemstones in my hand. "Getting rid of these."

"Eyi!"

"I need to, okay?! They're the cause of it all. I don't care if every other set that was pulled together didn't get to spend time together because of this. We would be the exception. I would make sure of that. We would make our own fate."

"Eyi."

I pushed past her into his kitchen, turning on the fire and watching the flames rise for a moment before I threw them right in. Tears rolled down my eyes as watching the flames rise and engulf the gemstones, tearing at their very essence. I clutched at my throbbing heart with each wail that pushed out.

Abigail pulled me as I shook vehemently in her arms, crippling pain engulfing me. It was too much.

Time passed by in a blur after that, movements blended into one another. But we somehow made it back to the hospital after the surgery was done. The first part was done, but that wasn't the most crucial part.

His body had to accept the new organs. He had to want to live. He had to beat the curse.

There was not much use for wailing anymore. I didn't have much strength in me anymore, but I didn't want to let go. Slumping against the chair by his side, I took his hands in mine and twirled our hands in each other.

"I'll make it all right again. Just please come back. I still need you."

Please fight for us.

Don't give up just yet, Avondré.

Come back, please, I still need you.

Please...

I pleaded and pleaded, screaming what my wails could no longer do.

Come back, please.

"Lore."

»»——♥——««

𓆩♡𓆪 𝕎𝕆ℝ𝔻 ℂ𝕆𝕌ℕ𝕋: 890

𓆩♡𓆪 𝕋𝕆𝕋𝔸𝕃 𝕎𝕆ℝ𝔻 ℂ𝕆𝕌ℕ𝕋: 22356

Don't forget to vote, comment and share if you enjoyed it! 💕

»»——♥——««