Chapter 2: The Crown

The Palace of Shaktiprasth was an architectural marvel of its own time. Being the residence of the crown of Bharatvarsh, each and every detail of it emitted royalty. The majestic and royal palace stood tall in the center of the capital city. The view seemed to be eternally aligned with wealth and luxury, with the entire palace being built of gold. The grandeur of the palace and its shine seemed to reach out till miles, and its visage could be seen from anywhere around the kingdom. Pages of the people who lead their life in the kingdom of Shaktiprasth seemed to be written with golden ink, studded with diamonds, on the parchment of silver. There was not a single soul who would not have a smile on their faces under the rule of the Crown of Shaktiprasth.

Adding to the countless smiles that lit up the kingdom was Malini, the head maidservant of the Shaktiprasth Palace, smiling childishly with a child in her arms. As she walked around the palace carefreely, the baby girl was listening to everything she said animatedly.

"And that is how Kumari Vishakha was dancing when it was full moon night." She said enthusiastically.

"Nritya? I want to dance too!" The child said.

"That? Nritya? She danced worse than street dancers, and here you are wanting to imitate her."

"Bad habit!" The child said, holding her cheeks dramatically. "You should not disrespect someone."

"Who taught you this?" Malini asked, chuckling.

"Mata..." The child said cutely.

"Huh! This doesn't sound good from Jiji. If this is disrespect, Jiji used to disrespect me so much in childhood, you know? She literally called my hair bird's nest!"

The child closed her mouth with her hands laughing silently. After staring at the child bewildered for few moments, Malini joined the laughter.

"Anyways, that garden and the upper three floors are the most dangerous floors of the palace..." Malini said, intimidating the child.

"Does ghost roam there?" She asked.

Malini shook her head hurriedly.

"Don't tell the same in front of anybody! Yuvrani often goes there."

"Ooh..." The child said.

"So, and then one day, Senapati Vikram told her that he will leave a mongoose into her chamber if she ever steps out at night with the intention of dancing, for she disturbs the sleep of everybody in the palace."

"But what will she do with a mongoose?" The child asked.

"What are you doing in this wing?"

The sharp voice screeched through their ears as Malini turned to see who it is.

A lady of royal status, wrapped in dark green silk lehenga, stood there glaring at them. Her green eyes shone with a unique brightness, one that seemed to give shivers down their spine that the child hid her face in Malini's neck.

"I am showing Vikashini around the palace." She said, looking back with equal annoyance.

Her eyes softened as she looked at the child in Malini's arms.

"Who is she?" She asked, stepping closer.

"My Jiji's daughter..." She said coldly.

A flash of guilt passed through the lady's eyes as she looked at the child, and it disappeared immediately.

"Bhagadatt's daughter? He tampered the security system of the palace and was leaking out crucial informations. That is why-"

Malini shut the child's ears and smiled at her softly.