Chapter 18 : Broken Promises

Panchali leaned against the writing table in her chamber with folded hands, royally ignoring Arjun, who stood against the other side of the table.

"Now what is your problem?" Panchali broke the silence.

"What did you think of yourself when you thought it was not necessary for you to be present while welcoming the guests of our Palace?" Arjun asked rather rudely.

"I thought neither you nor Princess Subhadra would like me to come face-to-face in front of her, and I did not want to see her either." Panchali said, looking away unaffectedly.

Arjun rolled his eyes at her explanation.

"It is not the matter of our personal preferences. It is a matter of royal etiquette. You are a new bride, and it is one of your responsibilities to welcome those who visit Hastinapur, especially for you. And royals of Dwaraka are practically our family. Especially Subhi, you can't disrespect her by not acknowledging her visit."

Expecting a sharp reply from her, Arjun got only silence in reply. Sighing, he turned to look at her, only to find her scribbling on a parchment ignorantly.

"Now what kind of attitude is this?" Arjun questioned.

Panchali took her own time to keep the quill in its place and looked up to face him.

"I did not intend any disrespect to Princess Subhadra or anyone else." She said calmly.

Arjun scrutinized her for a moment, his frustration evident in his expression. All she had to say was just a single line.

"I wish I had never met you." Arjun said.

"Same here," Panchali replied.

Arjun passed a sharp look to Panchali, and her eyes met his with no emotions.

"You are the most insolent lady I've ever met,"

"And you are the most demanding man I've ever seen."

And so, both Arjun and Panchali snapped their face to the other side, not wanting to see each other.

"You are not supposed to be in my chamber, or anywhere near me, until the post-wedding rituals are over." Panchali said, still not facing him.

"I have no interest in being near you." Arjun said.

"Says the one who is standing so close to me." Panchali replied.

Arjun glared at her and turned to leave the chamber. Just as he was about to leave, the door crashed opened revealing Princess Dushala dragging along the hesitant Princess Subhadra.

As Princess Dushala and Princess Subhadra entered the chamber, the Dushala looked at them in shock and Subhadra looked away tearily.

"Bhratashree, I already told you not to visit Panchali until the post wedding rituals are over, didn't I? What are you both doing behind closed doors when you are not even supposed to look at each other's reflection?"

Arjun cleared his throat, trying to compose himself.

"You are misunderstanding the situation, dear sister. I just came to check on her." Arjun replied, forcing a smile.

Panchali remained silent, her expression unreadable as she avoided making eye contact with anyone.

Subhadra's gaze flickered between Arjun and Panchali, her heart heavy with disappointment and hurt.

"Of course, he would want to check on his beloved wife constantly. I told you that we can visit her later. It was you who dragged me here to meet his beloved wife Panchali." Subhadra told Dushala, her voice tinged with sadness.