Chapter 7: Wishes

God is peace. Peace is in devotion. Devotion connects us with God. Draupadi understood the interconnected relationship after spending a day of peace devoting herself to God.

"Mahadev, meri aaradhya, mujhe aisa kyon prateet ho raha hai jaisa meri jeevan mein kuch badlaav aanewaala hai. Shayad, kyonki yahan aate hi mujhe shaanti praapt huyi, meri jeevan mein achai ke liye shaanti ka aagman ho."

"Aapse keval ek baat ki anurodh hai, kripya kar is jeevan mere saath dena. Kayi maah ho gaye ham mandir mein pravesh karthe, aap hame uske liye kshama kar deejiye. Aaj bahut samay baad pehli baar man shaant hai, aise hi rehne de." She requested to her Lord.

Kampilya was a beautiful place. It looked even more beautiful during the time of dusk. The Shiva Temple was one of its pride. Draupadi loved being here. She could stay here forever with the peace it provides, but she has duties for which she should return. She didn't know why her heart is adamant to stay here for some more time, as if something is yet to happen.

Her prayer was broken with the voices of people beside.

"We are standing in front of God. Promise on me that you would return to me safely, and marry me once this is over."

Draupadi saw a couple standing in front of the sanctum of Shiva Linga, the girl extending her hand for a promise.

"I promise, not on you, but on something even dearer to me, more than my life." The man said, placing his hands over hers and holding her hand.

Arjun, who was watching the same scene, smiled, as this was one of his memories with his own lady love.

"On our love..." The man said.

Draupadi scoffed, either people don't understand what a Temple is for, or confuse love with devotion.

"Love doesn't provide anything, but always there to take. Love is foolish, love is fake." She murmured.

"No, it is not. Love is pure, in fact, the purest."

She turned back to see who opposed her words.

"Oh, the Prince. How do you happen to always cross my path?" She asked.

"Trust me, I asked myself the same thing a moment ago." He said.

He both looked at the couple solemnly for a moment, and her gaze followed his.

"Love is pure only for those who see it through a rose-tinted glass. People find love as a pure promise, wise ones know it is the mirage of sweetness before betrayal. At the end, we are only left with our broken wishes of a happy future." She said dejectedly.

Arjun smiled knowingly at her cynical view of love.

"Love may have its trials, but at the end, love does find its destination. It's not just about wishes, it's about the intensity of our wishes, and of what we wish. When we truly love someone with all our heart, we always wish good for them, even if it means they won't end up with us. For such wishes, God always replies with endless happiness. And love is not about mere promises, it's about the commitment to overcome challenges together."

Draupadi looked at him, unimpressed with his view of love.

"Commitment often becomes a heavy burden. I've seen promises shatter like glass, and commitments turn into shackles. At the end, loving people only causes downfall. Especially if the love is romantic, we lose ourselves in the pain it gives after trying hard to attain peace in it, only to sink deeper into the sadness."