Chapter 38

Sofia

I was sent into another room with Nazaire while the rest of my brothers decided to talk about what had just happened.

I couldn't believe I had been the cause of this. My own brother was in a hospital because of me. Why did everyone around me have to get hurt in some way?

"Sofia....." Nazaire whispered to me, breaking my train of thoughts.

"Hmm? Y-yes?" I sighed out, allowing more tears to roll down my cheeks. Thanks goodness I had used waterproof makeup

"I-I know you didn't do it.."

"But I did Nazaire. I did it. I gave him those skittles."

"You couldn't have known that they were laced with drugs..."

"It doesn't matter. I gave them to him today. I wish I kept them for myself.. anything is better than me killi-"

"Hey! Don't you dare say that! You heard what the doctor said. If any of ua took the drug we would probably be dead. I know it's a negative situation but I'm happy that it was Phoenix who took it. If it was you, you wouldn't even be here right now."

With that I just began to cry even more. Nazaire pulled me closer to him and allowed me to rest my head on his shoulder. I was so exhausted with all the events that had happened that I just fell asleep a short time later.

***

I was awoken when I felt someone nudging my shoulder. I slowly opened my swollen eyes to see Elijah looking down at me sympathetically.

"Hey sunshine, I know this is bad timing but the police need to ask you a few questions now.."

"Oh.. am I going to jail?"

"Of course not! How could you even think that? They are just investigating how the drugs got into the candy in the first place. I promise that they won't do anything to you. Lorenzo, Xander and I will be with you."

"D-do you all have to come with me?"

"I... no. We don't have to. You only need one of us really, but it will-"

"Can it just be me and you?"

"Of course, whatever is more comfortable for you, sunshine."

Elijah proceeded to help me up and then spoke to my brothers about my decision. Lorenzo remained emotionless but looked sort of understanding, Xander instantly looked at me but I turned my head refusing to interact with him. Elijah headed back towards me led us into another smaller room.

There were two policemen sitting at a table patiently, when they noticed Elijah coming over they swiftly stood up and shook his hand.

"Mr. Marchetti, we are sorry to interrupt your family in this current moment of this distress. Thank you for allowing us to continue with our investigation."

"There is no need to thank me when you will be the ones helping us figure out who did this to our dear brother. Please begin the questioning. I have brought my sister here."

"Yes, of course! Right on it."

"Good afternoon, Sofia. This won't take long just a few simple questions and we will be finished." The policeman said finally regarding my presence for the first time since I entered the room.