Chapter Three: Digging Up The Past

Saylors's POV:

I feel exhausted after hanging out with Hadley and weakly turn the knob to my parent's place and shuffle in. Inside, I hang up my keys and instantly hear my parents laughing and soft music being played in the distance.

I walk over to the living room, watching my parents slow dance in the living room. Their foreheads rested against one another as they talk about their day. All these years and their love has only grown and strengthened for one another.

I smile to myself as I feel their love radiate throughout the house. Their love is all I've ever aspired to have with someone, but have only failed to find.

Maybe they set the bar too high or maybe I've been searching in all the wrong places. I have no clue, but the older I get, the more it seems like a love story like theirs is slipping through my fingers.

"Hey, baby girl." My mom says, her eyes finally landing on me.

My father smiles as he pulls himself from my mom, his one arm still holding her close as they give me their attention.

"Do you need something, bug?" He asks.

I go deeper into the living room, my eyes taking in all of my dance, cheer, and ambassador photos, everyone of them having Hadley right next to me.

My eyes then look over to see all of my sister's photos, hers being all of her family and kids. It seems like she has something to be proud of outside of high school and I feel like a loser that already peaked.

I never thought that this would be my outcome after all these years.

I sigh, shaking my head of my own negative thoughts, "did you guys know Emerson was coming back to town?"

My mom looks to my dad as they both exchange a look with each other before her eyes land on me once again, "yes, we did. Kelly mentioned Emerson and her girlfriend had broken up and Emerson had no where to go, so Kelly offered for her to come home."

I nod, "do you know what happened to them? Emerson and her girlfriend?"

My mom shakes her head, "you know Kelly doesn't say much about Emerson's personal life."

I sigh, feeling a bit defeated. I wanted to know more about Emerson, since we are rarely allowed to talk to each other without Hadley butting in and I have so many questions about how the last few years have been for her. She looks and carries herself so differently than how she used to. It almost mind boggles me how much she's changed.

"Did you see Emerson today?" My dad asks.

"Yeah, she came back to town today as well." I state.

"How is she?" My mom asks.

"She's... different." I say.

"Different? In what way, bug?" My dad asks.

"Physically and within her attitude. She carries herself differently, more confidently. She walks in a room and asserts a certain level of respect and she asserts it with her posture." I explain.

"She's filled out her frame more, not looking like some scrawny teen anymore, but an adult... a secure adult." I state, still wrapping my mind around how much she's changed.

"She still seems to be passive to an extent, to save a certain level of peace, but she's not the girl that used to allow bullies to walk all over her. She maybe allows it with her family, but not with others. She almost challenges them to mess with her and say something. That's nothing like she used to be." I explain.

"Time changes people." My mom states.

"Sounds like she matured." My dad adds.

"Yeah." I say hesitantly, still thinking about her currently and comparing her to the past.