Chapter Twelve: Meet the Holmes

Emerson's POV:

"No, way she leaned in to kiss you." Tate states, placing down some of her signage for the weekly ad.

I shake my head, "but she did. I almost can't believe it myself."

Tate shakes her head, the visible disappointment making itself apparent in her demeanor, "I don't know, Emerson. Don't you think it's a bit coincidental that she never noticed you until now? Now that you worked on yourself and got hot and shit? Who is to say she even knows if she really likes you or just wants to use you as an experiment?"

"You think I'm hot?" I ask, with a smug smirk on my face.

"Yeah, a hot pile of shit." She remarks.

I shake my head, knowing I walked myself into that one and also trying to register the little bit of pain in my chest at the thought of Saylor using me as an experiment.

"Why me of all people, though?" I ask.

She shrugs her shoulders, "I don't know... you're familiar."

I lean against the wall as I ponder the thought.

It wouldn't be the first time I was used as an experiment. I think girls sometimes like the idea and adventure of hooking up with a girl, but could never see themselves long term with one. I think it messes with everything they've known for so long; the idea of marrying a man and starting a family.

The experiment is fun, but the life they crave outweighs any type of genuine feelings they could develop. 

I don't know what Saylor's thought process is, but I don't know why she'd use me as an experiment. It seems awfully dangerous to tempt something with me of all people when my sister is her best friend. She'd have to know it would be hard to ignore, so maybe that's why she won't do it?

She could be scared that pursuing something with me ruins everything; our current relationship, her possible friendship with Hadley, and her idea for her future. There's a chance it could be the best thing that ever happens to her, but there's also a possibility it could be the worst. She'd probably rather gamble on letting life stay as it is than risking it all on me.

I can't say I'd blame her, through it doesn't mean this isn't hard for me to process. She might not even like me and maybe I'm looking to deeply into this? Maybe I'm letting this take up too much space in my head.

I sigh as I pinch the bridge of my nose, "I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm supposed to see her tonight."

Tate's blue eyes narrow on me, "why?"

"I promised her sister I'd come over to carve pumpkins." I explain.

"Goddamnit, Emerson. Can't you see you're getting yourself too involved? The family is inviting you over? Do you know how bad this is going to hurt you when she can't reciprocate the feelings you have for her?" Tate lectures.

Truthfully, I've been contemplating not going. It just seems so awkward to go to her sister's house after everything, even though I made sure that it was okay with her. It just doesn't sit well with me.

I sigh, "I get it, Tate."

"You need to cut this off before you get yourself hurt." She reiterates.

"I know..." I say hesitantly.

***

I walk up the paved driveway to Sydni's house, my heart pounding in my chest.

Believe it or not, I've mulled over this decision all day. Debating whether or not I should come, eventually deciding to do it for Sydni and her family because I don't want to let them down.