Chapter Four: Confrontations & Flirtations

Saylor's POV:

It had been a few days since I came home, Hadley rallying the troops and getting the old friend group together for brunch.

I should be excited, but I feel so disconnected from this group of girls that I used to consider my friends. Most of them are married, have had kids, or are in relationships. They don't really know me and I don't really know them anymore.

"So, Saylor... tell us all about life in the City." Ophelia asks.

"Ah, yes. Let us all live vicariously through you." Melanie adds.

Ophelia and Melanie married their high school sweet hearts and quickly had kids after. They don't really know what life is outside of family or their relationships. It's all they've ever known.

"Busy. People are constantly on the go, very opposite from life here." I state.

"What are the boys like?" Melanie asks, wiggling her eyebrows.

I laugh, "self-centered. When you're in a big city, you have tons of options. Most don't want to be tied down."

"And you did?" Hadley asks in a snarky tone. 

Ouch.

An awkward tension rears its way onto the table as everyone exchanges looks with one another. No one is surprised by Hadley's harshness, but more so her approach given the current conversation.

I laugh off the awkwardness she created, "I suppose not, I'm just saying you guys weren't missing anything."

There's a beat of silence as everyone slowly reacts to what happened. No one moving or saying a word until Hadley has.

"How's married life, Chlo?" Hadley asks our recently married friend and redirecting conversation away from me.

Chloe awkwardly smiles, unsure if it's safe to talk, "it's great. Gio is the first person I see every morning and the person I get to fall asleep next to every night. He makes the days feel a little brighter and makes them a little easier to navigate. I don't know what I'd do without him."

My heart warms at her statement. Chloe had a rough bout with dating too, but eventually found her 'one'. I just hope I'm able to have the same luck as her before it becomes too late.

"Ugh. I can't wait for that to be Kyle and I." Hadley states, always finding a way to bring the conversation back to herself.

"Yeah, that's coming up." Melanie states.

"Only five more months! I'm so excited, I can barely contain myself!" Hadley exclaims.

"I bet. After 10 years of dating, it's about time he put a ring on it." Ophelia says.

"10 years of being on and off." I say under my breath as I take a gulp of my mimosa, finishing it off.

"What was that, Saylor?" Hadley asks.

My eyes look up, everyone looking at me and anticipating a response.

"Ah, nothing... just saying how excited I am for you two." I say with a fake smile.

Hadley wraps her arm around me and pulls me close, "I bet you are, especially since you're my maid of honor."

I nod as I force a smile, trying to keep my hatred for their relationship hidden.

"Is Emerson going to be a bridesmaid?" Peyton asks.

"Emmy in a dress? No way. I don't even know if she'll still be in town by then." Hadley states.