10 Farm Life

The next few weeks passed quickly as April studied farm records, accounts, and history. She began to travel the farm, almost always with Ben. She talked to the farmhands about the care of the sheep, raised for meat, not for wool. To her surprise on arriving at Oakton, she learned, the Wiltshire Horn sheep shed their wool each spring and weren't shorn.

Fall was the season when the ewes were bred for next year's lambs. Bill Bigwood, Esther's husband and the farm manager, updated April and Ben. "We always need more help this time of year, Mrs. Waverly. Mark Musselwhite has a way with sheep. We allus get him, but he left Pelham end of July. Hasn't come back." Bill pointed to a large sheep with horns that curled around twice. "That's Niko, your prize ram." He turned to Ben. "He's bred with the new ewes we got from Afton."

Got a new hand to replace Mark Musselwhite. Young Tom Jones. Not got the experience of Mark or his way with sheep, yet," Bill said. He looked over at Niko, grazing in the pasture, under the anxious eyes of young Tom. "Mark were always a bit of a slacker. Worked when he needed the money, and preferred spending it on himself and his mates at the pub, or a bit of betting. Let his wife pay the bills and care for the kids."

Ben asked, although he knew the answer, "Does Mark do this often?"

Bill shook his head. "The kids are growing up and need money for school and things. Peggy won't give Mark any more money, so he must earn his own. Oh, that reminds me. Mr. Lanfair is in the stable. He wants to talk to you about the new horses."

The stable was cool and softly lit. The building had been completely remodeled recently, and expensively, a bill April knew would need to be paid. The barn was converted from six stalls to four and a two-bedroom apartment added, along with a garage for farm equipment. Drew Ramsey had been fond of riding until his arthritis worsened and he sold his horses. The two new riding horses Ben bought were now in the barn.

Geoff Lanfair led a large bay gelding out of a stall and tied it to the door. He beckoned them, and said, "Over here."

April stroked the bay's soft neck. The gelding stood quietly as the men talked. Ben bought the horse on the farm account, and April wondered why he hadn't bought the horse himself. She could always sell it when she took over the farm. The bay, named Warrior, was too much horse for her.

"I've given the horses their shots. They're in very good shape. You have an eye for a good horse, Ben," said Geoff. "I knew you could ride. I didn't realize you knew so much about horses."

"I picked up a lot from Drew," Ben said smoothly. "We worked closely together for the last year and a half of his life."

Geoff turned to April and smiled warmly. He was good with animals, and Drew always called him as vet for Oakton. "May I call you April," he asked?

"Of course," she replied. "You've always called me that." She looked at him, puzzled, then realized what he meant. "Now that I'm to inherit Oakton, please still call me April." Her new status made her cautious of appearing arrogant.

Geoff's eyes twinkled. "April it is. And I'm Geoff. He moved to the smaller horse tethered to the next stall. "Blaze here is a fine horse for a beginner, which I believe you are." He stroked the black horse's nose, divided by the white stripe that gave him his name.

"I've only ridden twice in my life," April said. Ben shook his head, and looked at Geoff as if to say, 'See what I have to work with?'

Geoff ignored him and said, "Blaze is a good horse to learn on then." He turned to April. "Oakton is a beautiful place for riding. You can even learn to jump on Blaze."

April's eyes widened. "I'd like to learn to ride." Growing up in South Carolina, riding was too expensive a hobby for her large family. "I guess I can try jumping when the time comes."

Geoff looked from Ben to April. "I'll be back next week to check up on the llama."'

"The llama?" April said. "What happened to him?"

"Bill said he went into the woods. I'll check him next week."

Drew motioned a waiting farmhand over. "See the horses are pastured till dark. Let's go to the house, Geoff. I want to go over the billing for the next quarter. Geoff's eyebrows rose. "Certainly, Ben. I'm finished here. April, I'll be glad to answer any questions you have."

Drew started to say something and realized he couldn't. April was the titular Mistress of Oakton, and could not be excluded from the farm's business affairs. He would have to remember he was in Ben Muir's body and not Master of Oakton for the time being.

***

For the next hour, April sat in the library, trying to keep track of all the bills and care the sheep needed. Lambing, vaccinations, accidents, the other animals. Horses were apparently quite expensive. Geoff and Ben talked about the new horses for a while, absorbed in every detail. At last, they got to the llama, Chico.

"Bill told me Chico has been going in the woods often lately," said Geoff. "He thinks there is some animal in the woods that Chico doesn't want there."

"Chico is a good guard animal," said Drew. "It may be a stray dog. I haven't seen any sign of another animal."

"Bill told me Chico wants to stay outside in the pasture by the Lodge," said April. "There's no dogs or anything here, and no strangers wandering around."

Ben rubbed his eyes. He couldn't think what might bother Chico, since Hydd was still bound to King's Oak. "I can't think what it could be."

"Unless it's the footsteps," said April.

"What footsteps? Drew asked.

"I hear footsteps at night in the hall outside my bedroom. Mrs. Bigwood keeps rowan crosses over the room doors to keep spirits out."

"It must be echoes or the house settling," said Drew.

"I don't know. It's like something is trying to get in my room."

"Odd," said Drew. He realized something had gotten free of King's Oak and was apparently after April. It wasn't Hydd, or she'd likely be dead. He scowled. The lost bell was causing more trouble.

"I've got to be off. More appointments," said Geoff. "April, Ben, dinner Friday. At seven. Cress is looking forward to getting to know you, April." Their eyes met.

"We're looking forward to it, Geoff," said Drew. "Want tea before you go?"

"No, no thanks. I've got to be on my way." Geoff picked up his bag and walked out the barn.