35 Ostara

April checked the last item on the inventory for the Bath house, clicked send, and the file went off to Ben. She stretched, placing her hands on her back. Too long in Bath, she thought, I miss Oakton.

She was tired and dusty and she missed Oakton, and especially, Geoff. She was not happy that Ben insisted she stay in Bath for these weeks, but the estate had to be handled. She knew the Bath house well. The house had security cameras, so there was no way Geoff could come without Ben checking every detail of his visit there. She and Geoff talked on the phone every day, and she managed to see him when she went to Oakton, which she insisted on doing at least once a week.

She turned the pc off and left the room. Free to spend the weekend at Oakton. Grabbing her overnight bag, she got in her car and drove to the farm.

April parked in the garage at the farm. It was a sunny day, and she was glad to be home for a few nights. She entered the house through the kitchen where Estelle was fixing dinner.

"Mrs. B! Hello. I'm so glad to be home.

Estelle smiled at her. "Welcome home, ma'am. The Lodge is not the same when you're away."

"I'm home for the weekend, then," she scowled, "then back to Bath for a few days."

***

The next day she met Geoff at the The Garden House Café, far away from Ben's prying eyes. She wanted to be with Geoff, and he felt the same. She told him it was so close to the time she'd be free that she didn't want to risk losing Oakton.

"I may not be able to afford the taxes, anyway," she said. "There are some portraits, old ones, that I might be able to sell."

"If you give up Oakton, come with me. We'll be free of Ben and his intrigues." He hesitated. "I could loan you the money to pay the taxes, if you like."

He'd made this offer before, but she was concerned Ben would find a way to interfere.

"I'm beginning to love Wiltshire, and I think of Oakton as home. It's only a few weeks," she said, laying her hand over his. "With or without Oakton, do you still want to be with me."

"Yes," he said. "You know I do. I love you. If Oakton is what you want, we'll find a way."

She hesitated.

"Problem?"

She looked up at him. "I want Oakton. I've never had a home of my own. I'd give it up for you in one beat of my heart, if that were necessary." She waited for his reaction.

Geoff leaned over and kissed her. "Let's plan to be together, then, you and I, here in Wiltshire. Soon."

"Soon," she promised.

She returned to Oakton two days before Ostara. She and Geoff had plans to vacation in Ibiza after Ostara. Their first vacation as a couple. No one else knew. She felt like a child waiting for school to end for the summer or a birthday to come. She unpacked her Bath clothes and packed her new vacation clothes.

The weather turned rainy and cold. It was hard on the ewes yet to lamb, and the newborn lambs. Bill hired another hand to help.

Smokey had begun to learn shepherding commands, and was occasionally allowed to try to herd a stray sheep back to the fold. The dog was almost full grown, very handsome, and April didn't want to give him up to a shepherd. Her anxieties were soothed by the dog's companionship. Fortunately, no one was looking for a new sheep dog.

Ostara dawned mild and a bit warmer. The day went smoothly. April refrained from acting as though she were counting the hours until Ostara was over and she was free. Ben just smiled at her and worked in the library. He drove to Pelham for dinner with a business acquaintance and she was alone at the Lodge.

The sun set on Ostara, and the night was cool and dark. Mrs. Bigwood had gone to King's Oak for the druid ceremony. She returned about 6:00 and replaced Hydd's bell in the safe before going home. Ben returned shortly after Mrs. Bigwood left.

The phone rang, and Ben answered, speaking for a few minutes. He told April, "One of the prize ewes is missing with her lambs. I'm going to help Ben look for them. Geoff is here, working on a sick lamb. I'll call the house if we need him."

"Sure," said April. "Or call may cell."

The night had grown clear and cold when Ben returned to the house, went to the office, and left, carrying a box.

"How are the lambs?" she asked.

"Geoff has them stable. The new farmhand will stay with them tonight."

"Did you find the missing ewe?" she asked.

"Not yet. I want to check the woods. Why don't you come with me? Four eyes are better than two."

"I'll bring Smokey. He's getting good with the sheep."

Ben scowled, but she ignored him and got her jacket. She followed Ben to the barn and he got behind the wheel of one of the buggies. Smokey hopped in the back seat. No one was around.

"Where is everyone?" she asked, looking around. "Geoff's car is still here."

"He's coming now," said Ben, pointing at Geoff coming around the barn.

Geoff was heading to the house with his vet kit, and Ben waved to him. He walked over and Ben said, "We're going to check another part of the woods for the prize ewe. Come along. She or the lambs might need your services." Geoff got in the back with Smokey.

The buggy rolled over the fields. Chico strolled in front of them, ears wiggling. The llama was agitated. "What's got into him?" April asked, as Ben stopped the buggy.

"Bill said he missed the ewe, and the other sheep," Geoff said.

The llama walked around to Ben's side, and stood there, his mouth working.

"Better drive on, Ben, he's going to spit on you. That's nasty. He doesn't like you for some reason."

Ben drove the buggy away from the llama and into the woods. April looked back to see Chico trotting after them. She shook her head. Chico kept trying to spit on Ben, so Ben avoided him. The buggy left the llama behind and went deeper into the woods.

Ben drove into the clearing at King's Oak. It was silent and deserted since the Druids left. Smokey barked. Ben stopped the buggy by the flat stone. Smokey hopped out and ran past King's Oak. A sheep bleated.

"I think that's the ewe," April said. "Over there. See the white?"

"I'll check on them," Geoff said. Ben followed, and April saw their flashlights moving among the trees.

A few minutes later the men came back, each carrying a lamb. The ewe trotted after them, bleating. Ben went to the flat stone, where April joined the men.

"You found them!" April said. "Are they OK?"

"Looks that way," Geoff said, putting his lamb down, and starting to check it. "This one was stuck in a thorn bush."

"That's why the ewe didn't come back," April said. "I wonder why they came out here. They usually don't leave the flock."

"We'll never know," said Ben. He taken the ewe and her lambs away earlier and trapped one in the thorn bush. A good excuse to get April away. He'd have had her call Geoff to come when they "found" the missing sheep, but Geoff turned up in time to accompany them. The night was going better than planned.

He was pleased. He had April and Geoff at the clearing, two ram lambs for further sacrifice to placate Hydd, and soon, he would be in his new vessel. This time next year he'd be engaged to Kennet's heir, as April. He considered ways to get rid of the current Baron Kennet. All in good time. Happiness was not something he felt, but satisfaction was enough for him.

Ben left April and Geoff tending to the lambs. He stepped over the mistletoe he'd cut and placed around the stone earlier. He carried the box to King's Oak. he reached into the box and lifted the heavy bell, Hydd's Bell, carefully, so it wouldn't ring. He hung the bell on a sturdy branch. He removed the muffle. Too soon to ring it. He needed his victims unable to resist. Geoff was very strong and used to handling large, obstreperous animals that didn't want him around. April had proved scrappier than he'd thought, standing up to him. He wasn't sure what she might do.