30 New Year's Morning

April, being the soberest, drove home and parked the Mercedes in the garage just after 2 AM. She, Wyatt, and Debra walked to the kitchen door. Wyatt looked at the small sports car parked in the yard.

"Who does that belong to?" he asked.

"Anabel," said April. "I wonder why her car is here if Ben drove her home."

"Probably drove himself here after dropping her off," said Wyatt. "That's a hot car."

April unlocked the kitchen door and led the way into the kitchen. She yawned. "I'm tired. Bed for me. Mrs. Bigwood is off the next few days, so I'll cook tomorrow. I'm making a sort of fry-up buffet for brunch. If you want something to eat earlier, help yourself."

"There's a note for you on the refrigerator," said Debra.

April pulled it off, read the message, and frowned.

"Something happened."

She sighed and put the note in her purse. "Not trouble. Anabel came home with Ben for the night. Mrs. Bigwood says they went right up to his room."

"I hope he's careful with Max here," said Wyatt.

"I'll text him, asking him to remember Max is seven," said April, taking out her phone. "And that I'm making brunch at 11."

The weary trio went upstairs. Wyatt said, "Happy New Year." He opened the door of the bedroom he shared with Max.

"Happy New Year to both of you," Debra said. She went in her room and shut the door.

April went into her bedroom where Smokey greeted her. She changed into her flannel nightgown. The nights were cold and the central heating at the Lodge was kept a few degrees lower than she would have liked. Economy was needed. A soft light shone through the keyhole and under the connecting door to the master bedroom. She heard faint voices talking but couldn't make out what they said. She turned out the light and got in bed, calling Smokey up. Her head hit the pillow and she was asleep.

***

Anabel sat up in bed and looked at Ben. The drinks were wearing off, and she wanted to sleep. Her desire of being with Ben again wasn't the dream she wanted it to be. He sprawled on the bed, one arm behind his head, and watched her, smiling lazily.

Behind the casual smile Drew was analyzing the night. Anabel had urged him into bed enthusiastically, just as he wanted her to do, and she couldn't complain. She seemed to want something more. She pulled the covers up to her shoulders.

"Cold?" he said, seductively, looking her over admiringly. Anabel had a classic, voluptuous English figure. He ran a finger up her arm. She moved slightly away. "Come under the covers, and some exercise will warm us up."

Anabel's brow wrinkled. Ben called exercise a romp, never exercise.

"Another drink? I'll get champagne."

She shook her head again. Drew sat up. "My love, we've been apart these last few months. I'm a new man, and I want you in my life. My bed. Just like we were last New Year." He nuzzled her neck.

She closed her eyes, trying to concentrate. She was aroused but confused. That was the thing about Ben. They remembered things differently. Yes, she and Ben had spent last New Year's together in London, but he'd gotten food poisoning, and she'd nursed him till he was well. Sex hadn't happened. It wasn't like him to be overly grateful for care. He expected it. She was sober enough to understand Ben was different in some fundamental way. The sex was better than ever, like Ben was a new man. She couldn't put her finger on it, but she wasn't sure she liked the new Ben. Maybe you didn't like the old Ben, she told herself. You just let your infatuation get the better of your judgement.

Ben kissed her, and she kissed him back, forgetting to think.