12 Lunch With the Vet and Smokey

Geoff picked up a thick hamburger, covered with cheese and bacon, and bit into it. April poked at her baked potato, which the deli menu called a jacket potato. The tater was topped with cheese, butter and came with a small tub of sour cream. She spooned the sour cream on the hot potato and watched it melt.

"This potato looks good. How's your burger?"

"Fine," said Geoff, dipping some chips in mayonnaise and eating them. She watched him.

He laughed. "Don't like chips with mayo? There are other sauces. You should try the jacket potato with their beef curry sauce."

"Sounds good, I'll have to try it. It's sour cream and cheese for me. I haven't had many opportunities to visit Pelham. I was in Bath with Mr. Ramsey a lot of the time. He spent a lot of time visiting doctors. Pelham's a lovely old town." She looked beyond the trees surrounding the dog walk to the Anglican church. "That church tower can be seen from Oakton."

"St. Duncan's an old church. It's just a block from my house. Have you seen it? Lovely stained windows.

April shook her head. "Sir Drew never went, since he was a druid. I attended the church in Bath, occasionally, but not here."

"Bath is a fine town," said Geoff. "Speaking of druids, there's been a settlement here, sheep herding since the druids."

"I've heard a lot about druids lately. Mrs. Bigwood is the priestess of her group."

"Yeah, her group is separate from the other local groups. They have their own practices, and seldom let anyone new join. Almost always a descendent of current members. An aunt of mine, into exploring nature religions, tried to join, but they refused to admit her."

"I didn't know that. I go to their groves, but only since I'm the future Mistress of Oakton. It's a requirement in the will. " April ate some of her potato. "This is good."

Geoff nodded. They chatted for a while. April confirmed that she and Ben were joining him and his sister on Friday night for dinner. Smokey laid at their feet, dark eyes watching for the offer of a morsel, perhaps cheesy potato, or, a dropped piece of hamburger that smelled so very good.

"Look at him," said April. "He wants a bite. I've only got potato, Smokey. I'll get you snacks at home." She looked hopefully at Geoff. "I probably shouldn't give him table food."

"No, said Geoff, "not really good for them. I admit, sometimes I save my Westies a few scraps for their bowl." He pinched off a piece of the succulent meat and handed it to her. "Oh, well."

April smiled and leaned down to offer the morsel to Smokey. He took it gently from her hand, then looked hopefully for another. "That's it, Smokey. Here, take a piece of potato." She pinched off a chunk of her potato and gave it to the dog. He swallowed and licked his lips, pink tongue sliding from one side to the other. "Liked that, did you? No more."

She turned back to Geoff, and the dog, realizing no more treats were coming, laid down at her feet. She asked Geoff about Toby's care and noted the answers. They finished eating and sipped their drinks. Sherry Musselwhite returned from lunch, and opened the office. April was gathering the trash when the church bells rang.

She jumped, looking around, thinking of her nightmare.

"Did the bells startle you?"

"Not exactly. I had a nightmare where bells were ringing last night. Couldn't sleep well."

"These are old church bells. The people hid them during the Civil War and put them back after, saving them from the Puritans. One of the bells is St. Duncan's bell. Same St. Duncan the church is named after. That's the one the Puritans wanted to destroy, because they thought it superstition."

"Mrs. Bigwood was telling me something about that. St. Duncan drove some evil spirits away, him and his dog."

"Old story. There's a stained-glass window in the church showing him and the dog with a bell in the tree. The stag is running away." The stories say that if the spirit stag returns, ring St. Duncan's bell and he'll chase him away forever."

She laughed. "Good to know there's a rescuer. "I've got to be getting back, and I know you have work. We'll see you Friday."

He carried Nala's crate and Toby's bed and food to her car. She put Toby and Nala in the rear and got in. "I enjoyed lunch. I'll have to check out the Garden Street Café some other time." Smokey hopped in the front seat as she drove off and stuck his head out the window, grinning in the breeze.