17 Unbidden Visitor

April parked the buggy in the garage. She lugged the bell to a shelf and set it down. The stag glared at her.

She'd had a long day, working around the farm, then going in the woods to cut mistletoe. She was glad she had the house to herself for the night. Ben was in Bath, so she wouldn't have to spend hours going over records with him or talking about their lives. Mrs. Bigwood was away until the next afternoon, visiting her daughter in Chippenham.

She fed Smokey and heated leftovers in the microwave for herself. She put the dishes in the dishwasher and started it. The slow, steady swish-chug of the machine and the smell of soap filled the kitchen. The house was peaceful.

The wooden steps creaked as she went upstairs. In her bathroom, she drew a warm bath, pouring in her favorite lily bath oil. She relaxed, enjoying the warmth and fragrance, until she heard Smokey scratching at the door.

"Quiet, Smokey," she called. Smokey whined and scratched again. She was annoyed. If she got out of the bath, she'd cool off, but Smokey wouldn't stop till he was with her. She finally sat on the bathtub rim, and reaching carefully so she wouldn't slip, opened the door, and let the pup in. He sidled in, grinning at her, and laid on the bath rug. He curled up, bright, dark eyes watching her. She settled back in the tub and added more hot water.

She washed off the grime and sweat of the day. The thorny tree had scratched her a few times, and she examined the marks. They were shallow and would soon heal. It was odd to have such a thorny tree on the farm; it was the first like it she'd seen. Surely such thorns could injure the sheep and lambs. She'd have to ask the Bigwoods about it. Mr. Bigwood might want to remove it, but it would be hard to chop down and haul away.

She picked up her book, a work on Border Collies, and read a chapter about famous Border Collies. She put the book away and shampooed her hair. Clean, dry, and lily-scented, she snuggled in bed. Her room was comfortable and spacious, but she wondered again why Ben had the master bedroom. The master bedroom was luxurious, with antique furniture and the best view of the fields. The master, or mistress of the Lodge, always, always used the master bedroom. Mr. Ramsey had left instructions that Ben was to have the master bedroom until Ostara, so she accepted it.

Smokey jumped onto the bed and settled beside her. She felt at peace, for a change, her anxieties soothed for a while. Petting the dog relaxed her when she had a panic attack. She was calmer and found herself needing less of her medicine.

The clock radio on her bedstand clicked to 9:27. Tired, but not sleepy, April opened her laptop and checked her emails. Some were junk mail; some were business. The last email was from her younger brother, Wyatt Burke, writing about her invitation for him and his son, Max to come for Christmas, along with their mother, Debra Burke.

Gina, Wyatt's estranged wife, died of the Delta strain of Covid the previous July. It was her funeral April attended. Wyatt had filed for divorce, but Gina's death changed the situation. She hadn't changed her will upon separation, and Wyatt inherited most of her estate, including their house. He now had full custody of his son, but his in-laws sued for custody, including control of Max's small inheritance and social security payments. The judge gave custody to Wyatt, and Wyatt was willing for Max to spend time with Gina's parents, but they said they were going to Disney World for Christmas with their grandchildren. April hoped a few weeks away would help Wyatt and Max with the changes in their lives, and she'd be glad to have family for Christmas after four years in England.

Debra Burke was fascinated by everything English, and April was resigned to giving her difficult mother a chance to visit. April knew visiting the England Debra had talked about ever since April could remember would please her. The complaints, fussing, and snark, would, hopefully, be exchanged by the thrill of seeing England.

She answered Wyatt's email, confirming the arrangements, and saying she was looking forward to having family for Christmas. She shut her laptop. The time was 10:13. She put the laptop away, put on a bathrobe and took Smokey for his night walk.

They left the house through the kitchen door and out in the quiet night. Stars shone down on the fields and trees, brightened by the half-moon. The outbuildings and the cottages were dark and quiet. Smokey sniffed around the bushes bordering the edge of the lawn, then trotted over to a small patch of trees on the edge of the nearest sheep field.

April followed Smokey, a gray shape in the night as he trotted along the tree line. A sudden cold breeze made her shiver, and she pulled the robe tighter around her. The breeze ruffled Smokey's fur, and the dog stopped, staring into the small patch of woods. He barked once and growled, a low warning. Smokey stared at a path in the trees that opened into the yard near the Lodge.

She could see nothing, only the cold breeze that blew from the trees. Turning in a circle, she searched the farm for anything else. A fox or stray dog might have come on the farm, looking for food. Clouds scudded across the sky, sliding past the moon and stars, promising snow. A few pale blobs were sheep asleep in the fields. "Smokey! Come!" She walked away from the woods. The collie stood still, hackles raised, the low growl the only thing April heard besides the wind rustling the tree branches.

She took the dog by his collar and tied her bathrobe belt to it. Her bathrobe fell open and the cold night air chilled her. She clutched the edges together with one hand. Smokey kept growling off and on as she led him to the Lodge. She walked past the fence nearest the yard and shrieked when a hairy snake with prick ears moved past her.

The guardian llama walked to the fence, watching the woods steadily, ears pricked. "You scared me, Chico," she told the animal. She petted him. His ears flicked, but he kept his attention on the trees. She patted her chest, trying to calm herself. Chico had startled her badly, although she recognized him.

"You think there's something in the woods, too, hunh, big boy." Chico began to groan, which Geoff had told her meant fear or anger. He laid his ears back, and April thought something disturbed him.

Smokey strained against the belt she used as a leash. The pup had never been so aggressive. Smokey and Chico turned as one as if watching something move away from the Lodge. Smokey barked, then was silent. Chico stopped groaning and went back to the flock, settling down by the sheep. The fields were calm.

April returned to the kitchen and unfastened her belt from Smokey's collar. The dog lapped from his water bowl, then followed her upstairs. April yawned, tired from a long day and the actions of the agitated dog and llama. She went up the stairs to her bedroom. The loose step creaked loudly she stepped on it. The step creaked loudly behind her as she turned down the hall to her room, but she didn't hear.