29 New Year's Eve

Cressida and Geoff hosted a New Year's Party at his country home, Ashleigh Manor, a large farm near Oakton. The Honorable Harold and Lady Ella Lanfair, his grandparents, had returned from Italy for the first time since the Pandemic in 2020.

Cress greeted Ben, April and her family. "Happy New Year, darlings, come in and have a drink. How is the little boy?"

"Fine," said Wyatt. "He's staying at home with Mrs. Bigwood. Max is staying up till midnight, and they've got plans. By the way, thank you for inviting Max to ride the pony in your stable here. He loved it."

"It does fat old Peanut good to have a rider again. Champagne punch in the bowl, or get drinks at the bar."

April filled a small crystal glass with the champagne punch, handed it to Debra before filling another for herself, and sipped it slowly, as she looked around for Geoff. It was just past nine, and she hoped his hosting duties would allow him time with her.

"Geoff's family has a beautiful place here," Wyatt said.

"Geoff owns it now. He inherited it when his father died."

"I thought this was his grandfather's place."

"It was, but for tax reasons, I think, they passed to Geoff. His father was the heir. He and his wife died of Covid in 2020. His grandparents have stayed at their home in Italy during the Pandemic." She spotted Geoff speaking to Lady Lavinia, a socialite he had dated some years before. She was flirting with him, to April's dismay. She relaxed a little when he saw her, nodded, and started over to her, but was waylaid by another attractive woman.

"Sir Harold and his wife came back to see Lord Kennet, his nephew, despite Delta going around because he hasn't got much time left. A few months, Geoff said."

"The old man with the oxygen tank? Very pleasant to us, he was, though his wife did most of the talking. Are they here tonight?"

"Cress said no. He rarely leaves his house."

"Hello, you two," said Anabel.

"Anabel," said April, "Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year to you both." Anabel sipped from a large Margarita. "What are you two drinking?" She was slightly drunk, and her eyes kept wandering to Ben, busy chatting up a beautiful brunette, who flirted back. The two stood almost close enough to kiss. Anabel finished her drink and ordered another Margarita from the bartender.

Wyatt ordered a lager, and the three stood by the fireplace talking. "Max said to tell you Happy New Year," Wyatt said.

She smiled happily. "He's such a sweet boy."

Wyatt grinned. "He said he wishes you were his teacher."

Anabel said, "I wish more of my students were like him. He's such a bright and curious child. Teaching is my passion, and my class at Pelham Primary is wonderful."

April finished her punch, and refilled the cup with water. She fixed a small plate from the lavish buffet, and returned to Wyatt and Anabel. Anabel's eyes were a little bright. "The food is delicious," she said. "Have you had something to eat, Anabel? Wyatt?"

"Can I get you something to eat, Anabel," Wyatt asked. She nodded and he headed to the buffet. Soon he was back and handed her a plate of salmon sandwiches and small pastries." She put a cheese pastry in her mouth and chewed. "It's time I had something to eat." She put her Margarita down.

"How are you doing, Anabel," Ben said, as he joined them. She glowed and swallowed the pastry. "I haven't talked with you in quite a while."

"You have my number," Anabel said, slurring her words slightly. "You could have called anytime," she said, in a softer voice.

"I've been busy. With Oakton, Ramsey's estate, work. It's my bad, I didn't call. I realized how much I missed you when I saw you at the Christmas Eve service."

Anabel preened. "You can make up for it."

Drew looked directly in her eyes. "Let's catch up." He took her arm and led her to a quiet corner.

"I thought Anabel was over Ben," Geoff said, as he joined them. He squeezed April's hand and released it.

"Looks like they're trying to get back together," said April.

Geoff shook his head. "Ben turned into a player. How have you two been?"

"Doing just fine," April smiled up at him.

"Thanks for inviting me," Wyatt said. "This is a grand place."

"Thank you," Geoff said. "If you have time before you go home, come visit, and I'll show you around. April says you remodeled your home in South Carolina, and you like gardening."

"My late wife and I bought a fixer-upper. I'm going to sell it now, and move closer to my family. Better for Max."

"Bring him, too, if he wants to come."

"I'm going to get something to eat." Wyatt returned to the buffet and inspected the dishes.

"You're looking lovely tonight," Geoff said.

"Thanks, and you're especially handsome. All the young ladies flock to you like moths to a light."

"My light is for one moth only, if that makes any sense," he said. "I'll be busy with guests tonight, but I'll find you before midnight."

"Promise?" she asked.

"Promise."

***

Ben took a shrimp pastry from Anabel's plate. "This is good," he said. "I was jealous when you paid so much attention to Wyatt at church."

"I didn't want to talk to you," Anabel said, eating the last pastry, "but I do now."

"We can talk," he said. "More, if that's the way you want to ring in New Year's."

Anabel simpered and kissed him.

***

April set her used punch glass on a tray set up for dirty dishes. She turned around and saw Geoff coming towards her.

"Six minutes till 2022," he said. "We can toast the New Year. Let's get some champagne." A waiter passed by with flutes of champagne and Geoff took two. He handed one to her.

Soon the party started the countdown to Midnight. "Ten, nine, eight...Happy New Year."

April and Geoff clinked flutes and April took a sip of champagne. Geoff drank his, then leaned down and kissed her.

A minute later, Cress walked up with Matt. "Have you seen Anabel? Grandmother and Grandfather are asking for her."

"She left with Ben," April said. "He texted me he was driving her home as she'd had quite a bit to drink."

"Yes," said Cress. "Happy New Year."

Geoff said, "She's all grown up, Cressie. She can make her own decisions."

Cress sighed, "You're right, of course. I just don't want to see her hurt by him again."

"None of us do," said Geoff, "but we can't live her life."