Six

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up..."

Sitting in the cold plastic chair, Odette pulled down the golden gown that she wore. On her cap was a cap with a tassel, the same golden color of the gown.

Today was graduation day of Forks High school, which basically meant for her was that she had a couple more years until the whole High school process started again. After all, this was her 60th graduation.

"Our answers were thing like astronaut, president..." Jessica Stanley, the valedictorian of the graduating class, gave her speech that she had been working on non-stop. "Or in my case, princess." The crowd laughed at this, a few probably expecting an answer from a girl like her. "When we were ten, they asked again and we answered– rock star, cowboy, or in my case, gold medalist. But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how 'bout this: who the hell knows?!" A handful of students clapped and cheered at her statement, a few laughing. Odette was one of the few people who did laugh, but because she found it ironic for her. After all, with 60 graduations came a repeated process.

"This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, it's the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train, and get stuck somewhere chill. Fall in love– a lot. Major in philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind. Then change it again, because nothing is permanent..."

Looking at a few rows in front of her, Odette's golden eyes found the back of Bella's head.

"So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask again what we want to be... we won't have to guess. We'll know." The audience clapped as Jessica finished her speech, the principal now taking the podium.

"When the name is called, the student may walk across the stage and receive their diploma." He adjusted his glasses before looking down at the list. "Mark Arnold.... Elizabeth Avery..."

In the blink of an eye, the row that Odette was sitting in now stood in line by the stage. Odette let out a sigh as she stood behind Jasper, Rosalie standing behind her.

The line moved shortly, each student needing time to shake hands and get their picture taken. But when it was Odette's turn, she put on a lovely smile as she carefully walked up the stage. Grabbing her diploma, she avoided shaking hands with the principal as she got her picture taken.

***

Entering her room, the blonde sighed as she closed her door gently. The click of the door echoed through the room, almost taunting her in a way. Taking off the golden graduation cap, she threw it into her closet before setting the diploma she had received that day on her dresser.

Feeling the breeze hit her, she took a breath as she noticed that the window had been cracked open. At first, she had gotten excited. Maybe Alec had snuck into her room to give her a letter instead of the normal postage? But then she felt pure disappointment, having remembered that she had opened her window that morning to pour some old water from a vase. "Must've not closed it all the way..." she mumbled, pushing it shut completely before looking at her room.

Leaning against the window, she closed her golden eyes. As she began to daydream, which she hadn't done in so long. She pictured a life with Alec, all in different scenarios.

The first one was if they were both still human. She would've continued to live in her small cottage right inside the woods if London with her Father, helping around the house until she would be courted by a handsome bachelor. Maybe he would be new to London, having just moved with his twin possibly? Jane Volturi had always been somewhat of an interest to her. One day in market, she would've been collecting the proper ingredients for dinner that evening when he hand brazed against his over a carrot. They would've looked up at each other, about to apologize, before their eyes locked. And from there it would've been history. They would've lived together and died to together.

The next scenario was what if they had met earlier. Her Father gave into her please if accompanying him the Volturi all those years ago, and as soon as she walked into the cold throne room, boom. Golden eyes locked onto red ones, and it would've been instant. There would have been no human to fight for or no little siblings to make her leave. She and Alec would have had years together.

The third daydream the blonde thought about was something she questioned often; what would it have been liked if she had stayed? Instead of listening to her siblings pleas of coming home with them, she had let her selfishness win. She stayed with Alec, joined the Volturi. Of course she would have written or called her Father, explaining the entire situation with a promise to visit soon. She could never leave her Father, her family, like that without a valid reason of course. She would most likely be a lower level guard, her special gift not being very useful for combat. But if she needed to scare someone maybe she could use her gift in that way. But, oh, it didn't matter what level she would be at, because she would've been with Alec nonetheless.

'Oh my Alec,' she thought, a smile gracing her face as she picture him in her mind. 'I would give anything to see you, even if you were just...' pausing her thoughts, she took a useless breath of air before opening her eyes, almost breaking the window with the strong emotion she felt. She shook her head, can't believing the illusion she had created.

"Even if you were just from my mind." She finished her thought out loud, staring at the perfect illusion of Alec Volturi. To his chestnut brown hair to his vivid blood red eyes, it was just how she remember him. He- It had his Volturi guard uniform on, his crest located in the same place; dead center in his chest.

"Oh Alec..." walking towards the picture, she could feel venom pool into her eyes as she placed her hand over her lips.  "Tell me... you miss me."

"I miss you." The illusion spoke, its voice matching perfectly to Alec's.

"Tell me that you'll write to me soon."

"I'll write to you soon."

Smiling wobbly, she moved her hand to place it on the illusion Alec's cheek. "Tell me that you'll promise come to see me soon."

"I promise that I will come see you soon, my dearest Odette."

Chuckling spitefully, the blonde shook her head as she blinked back the pool of venom in her eyes, her head falling to the ground. "It doesn't matter." She almost sobbed out. "Because you're not really him." Waving her hand through the illusion, it disappeared just like a cloud of smoke, the last thing the blonde caught a glimpse of being his eyes.

And those red eyes will be haunting her for all of eternity.